Chinese elm leaking sap

fhop

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I made some large cuts on my chinese elm on January 4th and sealed them with cut paste, but the next day sap already began oozing through. Its now been two weeks and sap has not stopped oozing out of multiple cuts. Im guessing this tree was never fully dormant, and it was a mistake to make these cuts. Either way im not sure what i should do next. I don't get any cold temperatures here so was thinking if i repot now the tree will switch back to growing roots? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-2605.jpg
    IMG-2605.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 41
Dormancy should not matter when pruning Chinese elm. They can usually be chopped any time of year without problems.
I have noticed Chinese elm ooze a jelly like substance when pruned, especially when the cuts get wet but I suspect that's the tree's protection after sustaining damage.
Can't see any serious sap oozing in the photo so maybe nothing serious and you are worrying about nothing?

If maples bleed badly, root pruning seems to stop it immediately but not sure that can be transferred to Chinese elms. I had some bad reactions to Chinese elm root pruning in the middle of winter here so now tend to leave that until closer to spring.

Not sure which way to advise on this one but if the bleeding is only minor I'd probably leave it and cross fingers.

Aye.
Projecting itself.
Just as the common cold isn't a sickness but a preventative measure....
Oozing out makes it more difficult for things to go in.
Think of the difficulties a salmon has going upstream.
Same.

Don't try to stop it.
Don't try to cure the "common cold".

I'm sure you can find studies where people who take "cold medications" are always sick.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom