Rudd’s Japanese Maple #1

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maples tend to do really poorly in Southern California, especially if you are inland, like I am. High heat, mild winters, and terrible alkaline hard water make purchasing maples a waste of money.

So I purchased this standard Acer Palmatum from a nursery in February 2020. 🤔
IMG_8171.png

In March 2020 I transplanted it to a concrete mixing tub with holes drilled in it.
IMG_8172.png

December 2020 I chopped it back.
IMG_8173.png

February 2021 I repotted it into a grow box.
IMG_8174.png

February 2022 I put it into a Nao Tokutake oval.IMG_8176.png

And experimented with thread grafting.
IMG_8177.png

December 2022. You can see just how terrible the nebari is in this picture just one big root on each side, then the other roots come out about 3” below those.
IMG_8178.png

Spring of 2023 I did a bunch of root grafts, and it went back into a grow box. The thread grafts I did on the roots took, the approach grafts all failed except for one. In December 2023 I ripped off all the approach grafts and wired the tree after leaf drop.
IMG_8179.png

February 2024, ground layering and repotting at a new angle back into the grow box.
IMG_8117.jpegIMG_8118.jpeg

Thanks for sharing and glad its doing OK with your weather! Is it thriving or just surviving?

With hindsight did it go into a show pot too early? Is the box just for the nebari development stage or branch development too?

Thanks for sharing and glad its doing OK with your weather! Is it thriving or just surviving?

With hindsight did it go into a show pot too early? Is the box just for the nebari development stage or branch development too?

The box is just for roots. I’m happy with the trunk size, I can finish the canopy out in a pot.

How did the ground layer go?
Really nice nursery find. It doesn't appear to be grafted which can be hard to find around here

Back
Top Bottom