Rudd’s 2023-2026 little Christmas tree entry.

Got it back home now. I popped it out of the can and started exploring the surface for nebari. The tree is 29” tall from the soil line to the tip.
IMG_7732.jpeg
IMG_7728.jpeg
IMG_7730.jpeg

I removed the lowest branches
IMG_7733.jpeg

Then I chose a front, removed the branches that were coming straight forward and reduced any remaining branches to interior buds if they existed. I also chose a trunk line and removed a bunch of competing apexes.
IMG_7735.jpeg

The tree is 21” tall now. I put it back in the nursery can, added some soil back on top and now I’ll just fertilize and water until January or February.

The aftermath.
IMG_7736.jpeg

Got it back home now. I popped it out of the can and started exploring the surface for nebari. The tree is 29” tall from the soil line to the tip.
View attachment 521578
View attachment 521584
View attachment 521579

I removed the lowest branches
View attachment 521580

Then I chose a front, removed the branches that were coming straight forward and reduced any remaining branches to interior buds if they existed. I also chose a trunk line and removed a bunch of competing apexes.
View attachment 521581

The tree is 21” tall now. I put it back in the nursery can, added some soil back on top and now I’ll just fertilize and water until January or February.

The aftermath.
View attachment 521582
The work of your hands is blessed. An honor to be in the contest with you!

Repotted. Got rid of a large tap rap root, and many thick circling roots. Placed back into a shallower and wider nursery can with 25% potting soil and 75% black lava rock. IMG_8183.jpegIMG_8184.jpegIMG_8185.jpeg

Very nice. I plan to repot my small sized twin trunk next year into a shallow pot. Would you recommend I also use the soil mix and values you have to move it towards refinement? Is the idea to introduce/transition the tree into inorganic upon the final repotting?

@Bonsai Forest I know it works for me, and for my teacher. The potting soil is only there to speed up growth a little. Next go round will be completely inorganic 2:1:1.

First round of pinching done. Hopefully i’ll get some backbudding.

IMG_8710.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom