Rudd’s Chojubai #1

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is a white Chojubai that I purchased from Dylan Ferreira at the GSBF Rendezvous in October 2023.

IMG_8832.jpeg

The stone is actually 5 stones that I cemented together. They are Lace Rocks from a local aquarium store. The pot is from @NaoTK

February 2024 I placed the tree on the stone and did a first styling. The fern on the left is a rabbit foot fern from Left Coast Bonsai. I use basically a 50/50 mix of wet long fiber sphagnum and potting soil instead of muck.

DE38D729-2FBE-42A6-B300-0E4CC58C5427.jpeg

It grew well on the stone, here it is a month later.

IMG_8455.jpeg

Some of the wire began cutting in on the heavier bends, so last month I unwired it, there was quite a bit of bounceback.

IMG_8816.jpeg

And rewired with copper June 2024.

5894EEF4-B5A9-4BE6-A09E-725BD2E4FCEB.jpeg

Some thoughts on this species. It has been pushing flowers non stop since I got it, but I’ve been plucking them off to try to push energy to ramification. I’ve gotten some ramification now, I’m going to start letting it keep the flowers. Also, the flexibility is insane. I pulled off some really tight bends.

This is a white Chojubai that I purchased from Dylan Ferreira at the GSBF Rendezvous in October 2023.

View attachment 551405

The stone is actually 5 stones that I cemented together. They are Lace Rocks from a local aquarium store. The pot is from @NaoTK

February 2024 I placed the tree on the stone and did a first styling. The fern on the left is a rabbit foot fern from Left Coast Bonsai. I use basically a 50/50 mix of wet long fiber sphagnum and potting soil instead of muck.

View attachment 551409

It grew well on the stone, here it is a month later.

View attachment 551408

Some of the wire began cutting in on the heavier bends, so last month I unwired it, there was quite a bit of bounceback.

View attachment 551407

And rewired with copper June 2024.

View attachment 551406

Some thoughts on this species. It has been pushing flowers non stop since I got it, but I’ve been plucking them off to try to push energy to ramification. I’ve gotten some ramification now, I’m going to start letting it keep the flowers. Also, the flexibility is insane. I pulled off some really tight bends.
That's really awesome and impressive in a short time. Do you have any pictures of when you attached it to the rock you formed? Great rock formation idea too. Very well done.

That's really awesome and impressive in a short time. Do you have any pictures of when you attached it to the rock you formed? Great rock formation idea too. Very well done.

Those first two pictures were taken the same day. The literal before and after.

I found these pictures that I took in January 2024, one month before I put it on the rock.
IMG_7965.jpegIMG_7959.jpeg

Last edited:
@Ruddigger
So you put the wire on in January but didn't do the actual bending and shaping until February when you put it on the rock?

@Ruddigger
So you put the wire on in January but didn't do the actual bending and shaping until February when you put it on the rock?

Correct. The branches were all twisted together, so I basically put the wire on and un tangled everything in preparation for the rock planting I knew I wanted to do. After I put it on the rock a few more wires had to be added.

Really cool project. Probably above my pay grade but I'm already scouting about for Lace Rock and something suitable to wire to it. Very fun.

Back
Top Bottom