Rudd’s California Juniper #1

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It does have tighter foliage than some. Being a female tree helps, I think my sparing fertilization and high akadama percentage help too.

I need to go over the whole tree soon and get a new picture for this year.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, Id like to see a full tree picture now as well. I think you need to create some height difference in the apical deadwood and the right trunk's tenjin naturally looks like the one to reduce to me.

I see what you mean with the lowest left branch... it looks like you can incorporate it into the deadwood there? I think some foliar asymmetry is needed so removing that may require a reduction on the right trunk's foliage also..

Beautiful tree and great work so far. I really like the front you chose. And @NaoTK's pot is great. Maybe I should commission one! Im always impressed with your trees btw. Looking forward to more progress on this.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Update.

The right apex was lowered about 6” and the tenjin reduced.
IMG_7884.jpeg

The tenjin on the left was also reduced and the apex lowered about 2”.
IMG_7885.jpeg

The big bend on the back branch is staying in place without the guy wire now. It sticks too far out to the rear still, I’ll replace the long branch with crotch growth eventually.
IMG_7886.jpeg

Close up of the apexes.
IMG_7887.jpeg

The entire tree.
IMG_7892.jpeg

Theres a big gap in the middle now where I lost a major branch last Summer. Theres a back branch on left trunk that I can grow out to fill the visual space.

At this point I’m almost entirely sure that first branch on the left needs to go.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
First branch removed.

IMG_7934.jpegIMG_7935.jpeg

Next I wanted to bend that back branch down even more than I did last year. When I first bent it last year I split the branch and brought it down. What I didn’t do was remove any material in the split, which kept the branch from going down as far as I liked. So today I drilled out along the split and gave it enough room to really bend down.
IMG_7929.jpeg
IMG_7930.jpeg

Before.
IMG_7931.jpeg
IMG_7931.jpeg

After.
IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_7932.jpeg

And a new full shot of the tree.
IMG_7937.jpeg

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I added some texture to the deadwood. After a rainy week the deadwood was nice and soft, I used a chisel to remove some of it, and then peeled it like string cheese to create texture. I hit it with a torch and a brass brush afterwards. It still needs to be lime sulfured.
IMG_8638_polarr.jpegIMG_8478.jpegIMG_8479.jpegIMG_8480.jpeg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's a really nice tree. You've done really well with it, and it's developed nicely. I think I'd like to see different heights on each of the three trunks. Have you considered reducing the heights of the left and right trunks? Having them at roughly all at the same height (including the deadwood tops) doesn't work as well as I think it could if you made the middle the tallest, the right trunk the 2nd tallest, and the left the shortest.

Just a suggestion. Nice tree!

Cory

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's a really nice tree. You've done really well with it, and it's developed nicely. I think I'd like to see different heights on each of the three trunks. Have you considered reducing the heights of the left and right trunks? Having them at roughly all at the same height (including the deadwood tops) doesn't work as well as I think it could if you made the middle the tallest, the right trunk the 2nd tallest, and the left the shortest.

Just a suggestion. Nice tree!

Cory

I agree. The middle is actually the tallest. I’d rather grow that apex higher than reduce the others, though.

Top Bottom