Rookies sorting out roots Ebihara don’t look!

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, similar to Anderson flats, but with a bit of an airspace under the pot due to the runners to help inhibit downward grow, yet still close enough to keep in moisture from the ground. I’ve used this design for really big boxes on benches (put in pumice over winter) and interested see how this design works out on the ground.

That’s for sure.! 😉

Cheers
DSD sends
I made the mistake last year of having a bunch of Anderson flats up on 2x4s in a corner of my yard, above dirt. Roots bridged the gap easily and had to be cut off with a long saw. Many were big enough that I couldn't just pull the pots up. So yeah, a small air gap may not be enough to convince the roots to behave.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good point and highly likely Andrew. I ran into that same issue last year when I rotated all the trees. Luckily I got to them early.

The plan for this year is to rotate the trees position to even out their sun exposure about every 6 weeks. Presently some get more sun than others in the afternoon. They are small enough to move easily, not like the big ones you have!

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome to know this from a really experienced hand!

Excellent practices are not meant to be kept private.

Cheers
DSD sends

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome to know this from a really experienced hand!

Excellent practices are not meant to be kept private.

Cheers
DSD sends
Agreed!

I made a little video on mine this winter, and have 2 young maple whips where I will do the repot this weekend [yes I am very late, just found them this week] and show and tell in 12 or 24 months.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh, most of our maples are just ready to push out a couple leaves due to the series of cold snaps we’ve had.

We are still taking trees out of storage. Like you I found a couple trees I wish I would have seen last week.

I’ll have to check out your video. Last one I watched was on recycling media. Nice job.

Cheers
DSD sends

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gosh, most of our maples are just ready to push out a couple leaves due to the series of cold snaps we’ve had.
Most of my trees started pushing .. 2? weeks ago. But we popped straight into 60F area. And of course, this week 24-28F nights. I brought my trees out of shelter this morning. Hope this was it.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Good job !
You'll see how it evolves in term of root growing 👍

In my experience of using screens/fence, it was very very difficult to remove the rootball after 2 years of growth because the roots had become encrusted in the openings of the fence/screen. I had to tear down the fence in order to remove the rootball. It was very difficult & unpleasant to do ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2021 02 24 (11).JPG

So now i no longer staple screens/fence on the bottom of my woodboxes to enable an easier repotting.

On your boxes there are less wooden planks under the screen/fence than mine, so maybe the roots won't developp too much through the mesh of the fence (no backwater).

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings!

Yes this is a very good point. There are no easy solutions when one is dealing with living things.

Removal of a tree from a box can be a mess. This exact thing happened when I received a boxed tree with a plastic poly screening bottom.

This set of boxes use more sturdy one piece metal screening. Yet I fully expect root penetration issues. Hoping these screens are sturdy enough so I can just slide scissors, knife or a sharp scraper underneath and cut the key roots free. The rest I can trim from the top. After all, these roots will be trimmed back anyways.

If all else fails, the media can be dumped out, decking screws in slat(s) removed and screen cut free along the inside edge. Then tree, screen and slat(s) removed together. At this point the tree can be easily cut free.

As for the boxes, the sides are much more durable (5/4 decking) , while the bottom slats (fencing) likely won’t last more than 3 years. So the frames might be refitted with screen and slats and reused for one more round.

cheers
DSD sends

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good job !
You'll see how it evolves in term of root growing 👍

In my experience of using screens/fence, it was very very difficult to remove the rootball after 2 years of growth because the roots had become encrusted in the openings of the fence/screen. I had to tear down the fence in order to remove the rootball. It was very difficult & unpleasant to do ->
View attachment 480991

So now i no longer staple screens/fence on the bottom of my woodboxes to enable an easier repotting.

On your boxes there are less wooden planks under the screen/fence than mine, so maybe the roots won't developp too much through the mesh of the fence (no backwater).
Good point! Im still a newbie, this being my first box, I can see how the roots could become tricky to separate once trees establish, didnt even cross my mind.20230405_125108.jpg20230404_174741.jpg

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just got done with my repotting two weeks ago when it was warmer in Bothell…and now the temps have dropped back down. Great inspiration for next year, as I’ve started gathering materials to build the boxes ahead of time. My maple seedling collection are a bit younger, so not quite ready for the technique (not enough roots) but will be next summer. I’ve got two air layers that I separated this spring as well, so I’ll give them a season to develop roots and probably apply this technique next year to them. Thanks for the updates

Attachments

• IMG_3671.jpeg
    IMG_3671.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom