Repotting of Shimpaku (kishu variety)

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hello fellow nuts,

I have a shimpaku that i would like to repot, if i could, somtime this growing season. Is there another time outside of as the buds are breaking that i can repot safely. To better inform, this repot will not be extensive. Im actually just going to be scraping away some of the old soil and putting the tree in a larger pot to let it have some space to grow.

Ive heard people talk about summer dormancy as another opportunity, but i wanted to get everyones thoughts.

Alex

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I wouldn’t recommend it, but I’ve never pushed the limits to the point of actually killing a Shimpaku.

Slip-potting without root work is probably safe anytime except the extreme temperature months. At this point, you’d get better growth by caring for the tree well as-is and keeping it growing, than risk slowing it down by disturbing the roots.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have always defaulted to the works of Yuji Yoshimura who in his plant guide states that Junipers can be repotted anytime except during the middle of winter. I have done Kishus in the middle of summer and never lost one to the repotting practice. I do a lot of things in the growing season.

Top Bottom