Prunus Mume 'Omoi No Mama'

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful tree Fred. You certainly have a way with these and i believe i have said to you before that your contorted white was one of the first I saw and it made me order some of my own from Brent.

I have an omoi no mama in the ground that has been running wild the last three years. I'd like to dig it up this spring and admit I am nervous about how it may respond to being dug and potted. Any suggestions?

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Don't confuse 思いのまま (omoi no mama) With 重いのまま (Omoi no mama).
Alternatively, rather than As I Reflect, could be Deep in Thought or While Thinking....

Reaction score
So you have confused me . Why turn a lovely tree into a pine wanabe?
It will never look good in the style you have chosen, it seems against the nature of the tree. Old pines do have hanging branches caused by the weight of the branch and snow held on the needlesThis tree has more upright branches .
Also the prunus I have are perfectly comfortable outside in the worst of the winter weather no problems, needing no heating or protection.
If you want to experimemt get a seedling pine or other coniferthe results will be worthwhile given time

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree Fred. You certainly have a way with these and i believe i have said to you before that your contorted white was one of the first I saw and it made me order some of my own from Brent.

I have an omoi no mama in the ground that has been running wild the last three years. I'd like to dig it up this spring and admit I am nervous about how it may respond to being dug and potted. Any suggestions?

First, go ahead and do it. I would use a colander or something like that. I use inorganic soil. After that, just let it grow.

After you see it has taken, feed something like Miracid, once a week all during the growing season. Let the tree get established. If it blooms, fine. If not, we can talk about it.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you have confused me . Why turn a lovely tree into a pine wanabe?
It will never look good in the style you have chosen, it seems against the nature of the tree. Old pines do have hanging branches caused by the weight of the branch and snow held on the needlesThis tree has more upright branches .
Also the prunus I have are perfectly comfortable outside in the worst of the winter weather no problems, needing no heating or protection.
If you want to experimemt get a seedling pine or other coniferthe results will be worthwhile given time

In January, we had two weeks of an incredible nordic blast. It never got above 5 degrees F. At one point, it was -18 F. with 40 mph winds gusting to 60 mph. -18 F. is -27.7778 Celsius. Trust me. With weather like that, almost everything needs protection. I'm pretty sure you don't have anything like our winters in Darbyshire, UK.

>>If you want to experimemt get a seedling pine or other conifert...

The point isn't to make my ume look like a conifer, nor is it to follow nature. The point is to experiment with the literati style by using the trunk and branches of the tree to make a line which is broken up by bursts of flowers. The model I picked happened to be a pine. There are a lot of people who will look at what I've done and conclude that my tree isn't a literati. Okay, fine. I'm still happy with the beauty of my tree and its simplicity.

Reaction score
OK, I admire experimentation and take your point on the weather in your part of the USA, but still think you are missing the art of Literati, it is much more than sticks with or without flowers try reading Literati style Penjing by Zhao Qingquan try artistic mastery. Good luck with your tree

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The trick with all the ume I have is winter protection. I keep my ume at about 40 degrees F. at the coldest. Well, sometimes that slips down to 37. I don't let them freeze, ever. I water them every day until flowering. And, once a week until flowering, I give them a shot of 0-10-10.

And thanks for the compliments.

Mine goes down to 15 With no issues, past that they go in cold storage. No issues thus far

Top Bottom