Prunus Mume 'Omoi No Mama'

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whenever I have a tree idea, I like to try out the idea using material that can usually be described as “stick-in-a-pot.” The reason I do it this way is that material like this is cheap, and can be worked into most shapes fairly easily. If the idea works out, then I look for more heavy duty tree material. Rarely, a project like this turns into something more.

Most of us have come across the following statement or one of its variants: it’s a deciduous tree styled like a conifer.

I wondered what that really meant. I’ve seen many trees that look like a letter “l” with a triangle on top, but that wasn’t interesting enough. One of my favorite Japanese literati trees has a relatively straight trunk with many falling branches. I decided to go that route.

I bought a prunus mume omoi no mama from Camellia Gardens, put it in the ground for a growing season, brought it inside for the winter, and then put it in the ground for another spring, summer and fall. While it was still in the ground, I bent it into a shepherd’s crook that slanted backwards and began bending the various branches as they appeared with the idea of styling it like a conifer.

At the end of the second growing season, I potted it up and brought it inside. I kept bending the loop in the shepherd’s crook until it finally cracked, giving me the sharp bend I was after. I’ve had many problems with dieback on this tree. Branches seem to come and go, so it may not look this way next year.

As all this was going on, the tree flowered. Prunus mume omoi no mama is famous for its multi-colored flowers. With this tree, I haven’t found that. Instead, I have mostly white flowers that are tinged with a number of tints that are difficult to describe. (See picture below.) The big advantage is the flowers are very small.

Meanwhile, I finally found the front of the tree. It’s a dead straight-on view. In the flower enlargement, the shepherd’s crook is easy to see.
omoi no mama_HDR2.jpg IMG_1422.jpg

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I also have a Prunus mume omoi no mama still in the nursery black plastic pot. I love their flowers. The buds just begin to swell right now. This photo is from last year.

IMG_1580.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting project Fred. Will the top of the tree be the crook, or will you keep the portion above as well? This tree reminds me of a ginkgo I have. Nice flowers, wonder if you'll get the multi colors once it matures some. One of my ume has a couple flowers that are both pink and white from side to side.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting project Fred. Will the top of the tree be the crook, or will you keep the portion above as well? This tree reminds me of a ginkgo I have. Nice flowers, wonder if you'll get the multi colors once it matures some. One of my ume has a couple flowers that are both pink and white from side to side.
You know, I've tried it without the deadwood spike in Photoshop, and unless things change, the spike is the top due to the proportions it creates with the branches. The tree does have multi-colored flowers--basically white tinged pink--just not quite as strong as I would like. In the past it has had some purely pink flowers with strong color, and once, it had a white blossom with a blue spot!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How exactly are you overwintering this?
I don't know much about this type of tree, but I thought it would need to be outdoors for winter....
I have a passively solar heated garage. The temperature stays at about 40F. all winter. For more info, search my name and garage.

Ume need to be protected from frost, which means for me, bring it into the garage. Thanks for asking.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a passively solar heated garage. The temperature stays at about 40F. all winter. For more info, search my name and garage.

Ume need to be protected from frost, which means for me, bring it into the garage. Thanks for asking.
Oh ok. Thanks.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's another tree, a prunus mume omoi no mama, in this same "style a deciduous tree like a conifer" series. This one is a much larger cutting I got from Brent. I styled it after Western Red Cedars I saw in the Olympic Range in the NW. The branch stubs aren't quite right yet, and maybe I need another falling branch or two...it will take time. This one has better color in the flowers.

ul omoi no mama brent 2-2-16-1-2.jpg flowers.jpg

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
When your omoi no mama blooms this year, please post some pictures!
Hi Fredtruck,
My omoi no mama has finally bloomed. Please see the photo.
IMG_2921.JPG

Two days ago, my wife and I went to a local nursery to help prune two trees, a murasaki kiyohime Japanese maple, and a Sinojactia xylocarpa, which is a rather rare plant in our region, with white hanging flowers; we saw the nursery's old kobai in blooms, and also an omoi no mama. The later has not been pruned and looked somewhat messy. I took those photos with iphone.
IMG_2073.JPG
Large kobai and fallen petals:
IMG_2074 (1).JPG
An omoi no mama that needs pruning after the flowers are gone:
IMG_2087.JPG
Another smaller kobai:
IMG_2081.JPG
Please enjoy.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fredtruck,
My omoi no mama has finally bloomed. Please see the photo.
View attachment 94687

Two days ago, my wife and I went to a local nursery to help prune two trees, a murasaki kiyohime Japanese maple, and a Sinojactia xylocarpa, which is a rather rare plant in our region, with white hanging flowers; we saw the nursery's old kobai in blooms, and also an omoi no mama. The later has not been pruned and looked somewhat messy. I took those photos with iphone.
View attachment 94688
Large kobai and fallen petals:
View attachment 94689
An omoi no mama that needs pruning after the flowers are gone:
View attachment 94690
Another smaller kobai:
View attachment 94693
Please enjoy.

Very nice flowers. Omoi no mama flowers are looking good.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So beautiful @Chuah! I have only seen these as bonsai, it's almost odd to see them in their natural state. Is Kobai another form of ume? I'm still learning about these amazing flowering trees.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
So beautiful @Chuah! I have only seen these as bonsai, it's almost odd to see them in their natural state. Is Kobai another form of ume? I'm still learning about these amazing flowering trees.
Judy,
Kobai is a cultivar of ume. It is probably one of the most favored cultivars in Asia because of the red double petal flowers coming out during the lunar new year, sort of a happy color. The JC Raulston Arboretum is well known for their ume. Here is their site with various cultivars grown in the US.

https://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/header/01/01.php

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
So I keep wanting to call these prunus not yo momma.
Interesting alternative name. Omoi no mama is actually quite poetic, it means "As I Reflect".
A colleague of mine went to a Japanese restaurant and wanted some wasabi, he forgot what it was called, so he told the waiter he wanted "hot to me".

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
I guessed that it was not English.
I'm one of these people who can find humor almost anywhere. Unfortunately, I'm usually the only one laughing.

As I reflect is poetic, especially with a developing bonsai.

With the english word "reflect" having multiple meanings I am tempted to want an omoi no mama with a reflecting pond under it giving the name a double meaning, however I don't imagine it actually means both kinds of reflection so the english born idea may not work.

Top Bottom