Prunus Mume 'Omoi No Mama' Bunjin

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a split view of my prunus mume omoi no mama. The image on the left is the tree as it appeared shortly after repotting. The image on the right is a virtual, combining the flowers of just a few days ago with the repotted image. It’s in the bunjin style.

If you want to read about the development of my omoi no mama bunjin, click here:

fredtruck.com/articles/Apricot.pdf

The omoi no mama is a variety of ume that features white, pink tinged white, and pink flowers on the same tree.

ul combination.jpg

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. I gotta learn to make virts, as they really help visualize potential. I ordered an omoi no mama from Evergreen Gardenworks, which will ship next month. I'm pretty excited about it!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fred, that sounds like a fun variety of Ume. Similar to Toyo Nishiki quince.

I can't say that I like the straight trunk.

If this tree were mine, I'd take scions off the top, and graft them onto the bottom.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Concerning the trunk...there were limitations with the tree when I got it. It was already lignified. My feeling is that in a world full of twisted, bent and folded literati trunks, a very long, graceful and straight trunk makes its own statement, without further intervention.

ul omoi no mama trunk character.jpg

Additionally, this trunk, while not completely developed, has a character all its own. In a few years, it will be completely like this picture, which shows the bottom third or so.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fred I don't see any difference except for the flowers ? When you repot it for real will you get the plant down into the pot, it looks like its growing on a hill right now.

ed

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The flowers are the difference. Over time, the tree will go lower. I've reduced the rootball a lot.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the post was to show the virtual ?

ed

Top Bottom