Projects

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
First real re-pot for this one since it was started way way way back... all the fertilizer applied over the last 8-9 years broke down and turned the root ball into a bit of a dirt brick... it'll need a half bare root when I move it to a real pot most likely. I do love developing these neagari style trees... it's like Christmas morning when I work on them, as you never really know what you'll find.IMG_7939.jpgIMG_7940.jpgIMG_7941.jpgIMG_7942.jpgIMG_7944.jpgIMG_7946.jpgIMG_7947.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My shohin JBP seem to really like MI... 2nd year in a row of very vigorous growth with long necked candles. Even the second flush after decandling last summer was apparently steroid driven. This one just got decandled and probably every third candle was cut back into last year's needles to hopefully get buds to pop closer. Let's see what we have popping by the third week of July.

IMG_8093.jpgIMG_8096.jpgIMG_8098.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ll always have jbp in my collection, but I’m done growing from seed as long as I live here in the frozen white north. I started working with Japanese red pine and Scots pine. Here are some of the Silvestris crop that germinated last year. Uber, cold, hardy, vigorous, and they apparently back bud without having to ask twice :). The two bigger ones were seedlings sourced from Matt Ouwinga 2 winters ago.
IMG_8201.jpegIMG_8202.jpegIMG_8203.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8204.jpeg
    IMG_8204.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 14

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I cut the sacrifice away 2 months ago It will get old needles pulled and rewired this winter, and may see itself into a ceramic pot this spring.
View attachment 519546
Good news... I found the tree!
IMG_8483.jpgIMG_8484.jpg
I still need to remove some extra buds and wire.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, things got downright rednecky in my workshop today... avert your eyes if you're a sensitive soul! I decided to stop photo-bombing @Tidal Bonsai's great thread on clump style maples for the time being but perhaps begin chronicling the clump trident and Japanese maple seedling clumps I started 3 years or so ago. Anyway, when you have too many trees/projects to care for and move forward, you do stupid things to save time and money, and nobody is better at cutting corners while saving a buck than a redneck :cool: . So, without further adu, here are some of the pictures essentially showing my most 'special' techniques used to both anchor the material to the flat or basket while moving individual trunks to hopefully a better spot. This was all done with just 1.5 mm aluminum wire (because I've got loads of it both new and used laying all over the workshop), used copper wire, and chop sticks. Please, no questions about the soil used... it's proprietary in nature, locally sourced, and absolutely gauranteed to horrify my longtime friends here if I were to disclose the components:rolleyes::p. These are the non-rednecky shots...IMG_8787.jpgIMG_8788.jpgIMG_8794.jpgIMG_8790.jpgIMG_8797.jpgIMG_8818 (1).jpgIMG_8816.jpg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll allow it! I know they're early in development, but on that last one, I'd consider trying to slow down the front left tree/trunk in the clump as it looks significantly thicker. If that's a perspective issue, ignore. Otherwise, maybe something as simple as pinching the tips on that trunk will allow the middle (in particular) to get a head of steam in comparison.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These look like great future trees in the making. How old were these when you planted together? Have you had these from seed?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These look like great future trees in the making. How old were these when you planted together? Have you had these from seed?
I’ve been starting tridents and palmatums from seed pretty much every year for the last decade, mainly to use for root grafts or individual trees. These were probably seedlings in their second spring when I put them together.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll allow it! I know they're early in development, but on that last one, I'd consider trying to slow down the front left tree/trunk in the clump as it looks significantly thicker. If that's a perspective issue, ignore. Otherwise, maybe something as simple as pinching the tips on that trunk will allow the middle (in particular) to get a head of steam in comparison.
I agree. I’m analyzing the canopies now that the repots are done, looking for opportunities to wire direction into the trunks or chopping trunks back once the first flush hardens. That one is on the list to be cut back.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve been starting tridents and palmatums from seed pretty much every year for the last decade, mainly to use for root grafts or individual trees. These were probably seedlings in their second spring when I put them together.

Excellent. I find great enjoyment starting things from seed and watching the process. It is not easy and results just aren’t guaranteed regardless of planning. And developing trees with good characteristics early on like you have with these and their bases…very good work.

Top Bottom