7a

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So....

After neutering helpless dogs and cats all day, you come home and perform mad scientist experiments on plants?

I'll have to be more careful next time we're having a few beers! Lol!!! :p
Yep, but don't worry...I use goooood anesthesia- double IPAs!!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the deal with the trees growing through the inverted pots? Are you creating exposed root or root over rock under the pots, or using the drain hole to ground layer the trunk?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What's the deal with the trees growing through the inverted pots? Are you creating exposed root or root over rock under the pots, or using the drain hole to ground layer the trunk?
Exposed root style. If you look closely at the close up of the planting with the plastic bottle, you might be able to make out the large grain lava particles that fill it, and all the other inverted pots. I'll start cutting away the plastic pots from the top down in a year or two. I'm just going to take a hammer to the terra cotta pots in about 4 years and see what we get...

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotta be the first option (exposed root or root over rock), right? Since there doesn't appear to be enough soil on top of the pots to do a layer.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotta be the first option (exposed root or root over rock), right? Since there doesn't appear to be enough soil on top of the pots to do a layer.

(oops, cross-posted...thanks)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Exposed root style. If you look closely at the close up of the planting with the plastic bottle, you might be able to make out the large grain lava particles that fill it, and all the other inverted pots. I'll start cutting away the plastic pots from the top down. I'm just going to take a hammer to the terra cotta pots in about 4 years and see what we get...
There you go again! Now you're threatening violence upon helpless passive pottery!

I think you need to see someone about this!:p:p:p;)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The last picture;did that approach graft take already? Interesting method with the pine planted on the upside down Terra cotta pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That new cascade pot for them pines eh?

Nice!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The last picture;did that approach graft take already? Interesting method with the pine planted on the upside down Terra cotta pot.
Sorry, just saw your question. Yes, those approach grafts were successful and were fully separated from their roots back in March. Once they are growing well on their own, perhaps in a year, I'll cut back the remaining branch stub, start removing the remaining RMJ foliage further out on the branch, and begin to wire them. Until then, I'm going to leave them alone and let them grow.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fun stuff Dave! I love all the different projects, adds so much diversity to the "To do list".

Top Bottom