What are some of your winter projects?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the idea of hanging components on the wall. I'm in IT and have installed components on a mounted sheet of plywood where there isn't room for shelving or a rack, and routed the wiring into geometric shapes 😃
The random wires everywhere is a bit of pain. I need to find something to help manage them, but still look the part.
Somewhere I have a galvanized vented box I want to find a way to mount over the surge protector and outlet on hinges.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It slows down; already has. This is why we need to encourage more southern hemisphere folks.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be another soil debate at some point or some debate or another about something. Debates tend to happen around here more often during the winter doldrums.

As for myself, I know I have trees I should work on over the winter. Pines to wire and pluck. Other trees to trim and wire. The tropicals usually need a hair cut two or three times.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grow box construction, tropical propagation. Soil prep for next year, keeping stuff alive theough winter.

Non bonsai... build new compost bins, finish shelving in the shed, do some fixes to the veggie garden, new strawberry set up... always stuff to do.

Oh! Apply for plant dealer nj license. Nursery license to follow.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Generally over winter I'll visit nurseries looking for deciduous material, this is the best time since the leaves are off, you can see what you're buying. Then I usually do winter work on them. For my current trees, weeding, cleaning up top surfaces, wiring, styling, etc

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Build a small potting shed.
Plan and acquire materials for a more automated watering system.
Beat the woods and the wood pile looking for useful wood pieces to make some jita.
Spend some time at the potters wheel and pottery in general.
Make some hard decisions about all my tropicals.
Insulate and wire an outdoor shed for wood working.
Read some good books that have absolutely nothing to do with bonsai.
Mostly I am going to hope & dream that I can get all of this done.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bonsai:
Wire my BCs once they drop their leaves.
Make a bonsai dai.

Non bonsai:
Set up my woodworking shop to accommodate my big belt sander.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bonsai:
Wire my BCs once they drop their leaves.
Make a bonsai dai.

Non bonsai:
Set up my woodworking shop to accommodate my big belt sander.
Forgot to mention the big project of selling/giving away/throwing away the content of a 40 ft seagoing container from stuff that used to be in my big house.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Focus on the conifers, wiring & styling. Lots of development and refinement with pines, firs and hemlock that can be done in the winter. Mildr climate and I have winter protection if needed. Oh and a comfortable place to work.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 9

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Build a bunch of grow boxes. Stare at my leafless trees in an attempt to figure out what to do in spring. And resist the urge to constantly water to fill the time.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Build a bunch of grow boxes. Stare at my leafless trees in an attempt to figure out what to do in spring. And resist the urge to constantly water to fill the time.
Grow boxes seem like a great idea. Is treated wood ok to use, or do you line it with some sort of sheeting with drainage cutouts?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grow boxes seem like a great idea. Is treated wood ok to use, or do you line it with some sort of sheeting with drainage cutouts?

I always use untreated cedar for grow boxes with some sort of window screening on the bottom.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always use untreated cedar for grow boxes with some sort of window screening on the bottom.
Oh, thanks for the reminder! My gf has some extra cedar planks from when her deck was built, will look into making some 😃

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use untreated wood. I typically cut five 17" pieces and 2 14" pieces. I make a frame with two of the 17" and two of the 14" and then use the remaining three for the bottom. Then I drill large holes and cover them with square pieces of plastic screen.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Build grow boxes and get my records/tree notes updated since I'm terrible about it during the growing season

Top Bottom