Progression - Taxus Collected from a Hedge

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In 2006 I collected this Taxus from a hedge (along with 5 others). I planted the tree in a free-draining mix and let it recover and grow for 3 years. I repotted it in 2009 to remove the clay soil.

Taxus Yardadori 6 (2).jpg

In 2010 I trimmed the tree back to produce backbudding.

Taxus Yardadori 6 (10).jpg

In 2011 I did a preliminary wiring with minor adjustments in January 2012.

100_4496crop.jpg

A virtual of the tree filled out in 2012. The tree has great nebari just below the surface and a 4.5" trunk at the base.

100_4496cropvirt.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking good! You should have no problem getting it to look like the virt in a season or two. Yews are great, and one of the few trees I miss getting to work with from back home.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a nice looking tree, nice and natural looking.

So you are a Taxus collector, I guess you work for the government... okay, sorry, I couldn't help myslef.

ed

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great start. I've got a yew I'm working with now as well, so it is good to see a progression of one. Looks like it will be a great tree once the foliage fills out! Keep us updated as it wakes back up this spring.

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Potted this tree into its bonsai pot this summer (July) and put into light shade for several weeks. Didn't miss a beat. With some more refinement it should be show-ready.

Many nurseries will dig Taxus from the field in summer after the current season's growth has hardened off. What also helped me for July potting is that several years ago I had cut down a nursery container to plant it in for training. (see prior picture above) I didn't have to remove much of the root ball to plant it in the bonsai pot. Virt (2nd pic) shows where the current deadwood is where I've touched-up the pic with white. It has not yet been treated with lime sulphur.

100_4916crop.jpg

100_4916cropvirt.jpg

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice development of ruff stock.

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree on display at the 33rd Ohio Regional Bonsai Show at Dawes Arboretum, June 8th-9th.

Attachments

• 0608131529.jpg
    0608131529.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 83

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like your virt is coming to fruition. Looks very nice and natural. I think this tree is just starting to show it's beauty. I think is really going to become even more beautiful in the next few years plus.

Rob

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome :) I was going to goto that but had/have to work.

Hope to see you next year! It's a great time to visit with so many friends around a similar interest!

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It looks like a she, yes? I think I saw some cute berries in one of the earlier virts.

Top Bottom