pre bonsai Mark

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think he already has enough customers to keep him busy. However if he interested in expand his business... He needs to reply to potential buyers...
Well, yeah, what people seem to be upset about is the time it's taking him to communicate....Unrealistic expectations...

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I do think there is a much better way that he could professionally handle this situation if he would just do it, and it wouldn't be that hard. By him NOT doing that, he seems to have one finger in the air to the folks that are trying to buy from him. That might not look like that to some, but to others it sends the one finger salute message. I don't think it is unrealistic to expect a reply from a business owner within a certain period of time either. Some are more leinent than others with that time frame...we're all very different, and to me, that does not make either of us wrong or bad, just different. What works for you might not work for me at all and vise-versa. Asking me to believe/think like you is like asking me to like cilantro...not going to happen! I'm sure I might miss some great trees...o well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I love cilantro but like you I think he can handle this much better without spending a lot of time.
@Peter44 How long did you wait and how many times did you try to contact Mark that rockm thinking is unrealistic or unreasonable?

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
The dude should at least respond. Even if it’s to say I’ll get back with you or check back in a couple weeks. It takes what 2 minutes to make contact. Yea he’s doing good for the bonsai community by growing certain trees and techniques but how good is it really if you can’t get ahold of him. I sent an inquiry last year. Never got a response. I don’t think ppl have too high of expectations but if your in the biz and want biz. You should at least make contact. If he’s got all he needs and wants to forget everyone else. That’s his choice. I’m not going to hassle the hell outta someone til they respond. Look else where.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I first contacted him on Feb 28th I believe. He answered the phone and said he would send pictures etc. I have tried to contact him 3-5 times after that and have never hear from him. I believe now his message box on his phone is to full to leave a messages. Please remember what is reasonable to me could be very different than what is reasonable to someone else. I got tired of trying.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
People, I know @Peter44 personally. If he is complaining about customer service, in all likelihood, you and I would be complaining about customer service. Period. Having been on both sides of the equation in a different niche hobby market, I am reluctant to weigh in. But I know Peter, he is a normal, reasonable guy. So give Peter the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, it is a busy time of year for us, so I have some sympathy for Mark. I know shit happens, but then what he eventually does about it is up to him. Peter should stick with Brent, who does take good, timely, care of his customers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do think there is a much better way that he could professionally handle this situation if he would just do it, and it wouldn't be that hard. By him NOT doing that, he seems to have one finger in the air to the folks that are trying to buy from him. That might not look like that to some, but to others it sends the one finger salute message. I don't think it is unrealistic to expect a reply from a business owner within a certain period of time either. Some are more leinent than others with that time frame...we're all very different, and to me, that does not make either of us wrong or bad, just different. What works for you might not work for me at all and vise-versa. Asking me to believe/think like you is like asking me to like cilantro...not going to happen! I'm sure I might miss some great trees...o well.
I don't think his intent is to send an middle finger salute to anyone. I have seen an increasing willingness online to take anything as a perceived slight that snowballs into ridiculous proportions. Ordering from Mark is what it is...Taking this stuff so personally isn't really his problem. It's the buyers' Don't like the inability for him to remain in constant contact? Buy elsewhere.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21616

people seem to have the wrong business model in mind. he is not a multi-person company, he is not even a mom-and-pop. his business model is much closer to a mix of that of an independent fine artist who has been surprised by the love and demand for his work.

could he hire people? sure. but maybe his business has not grown there yet. in general, you take on expenses (salaries) when you can/want to increase volume or price. sometimes quality goes down when that happens (not many people hustle like Mark does, which is why you're all dying to buy from him in particular, and which is why I will be doing the 16 hour drive every year to buy trees from Mark for years to come).

it sounds like what some of you want expect is for Mark to sit down at the end of his day and respond to his emails, texts, and calls. only somebody unfamiliar or unsympathetic with the hustle an independent artist's life could expect that

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to coordinate importation documents into Canada etc. w/ Mark
got in my car, and drove 6-7 hours to see him. Nicest guy you'll ever meet! Just very busy!

...…………..want something? This young buck did it the way we used to, to get anything outside the norm!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

....i cry a little inside when I think I'm 17 years your senior @derek7745 .....wtf happened, my hair was so dark....;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For what it’s worth, I put a message on one of his Facebook posts to come here and check in. I know he’s out in the boonies today collecting, but maybe he’ll see it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For what it’s worth, I put a message on one of his Facebook posts to come here and check in. I know he’s out in the boonies today collecting, but maybe he’ll see it.
LOL!!! He posted on Facebook that, yeah, people get upset with him a lot.

There ya go!

The man dances to his own tune!

(Let’s face it... isn’t that how we ALL want to be? Lol!!!)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
LOL!!! He posted on Facebook that, yeah, people get upset with him a lot.

There ya go!

The man dances to his own tune!

(Let’s face it... isn’t that how we ALL want to be? Lol!!!)
Ok, so he’s driving back from collecting trees and posts on Facebook that he’ll check in here later.

So, he cares. He’s just busy!

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
He had stuff on the Facebook auctions a lot this year and last. Not much the past two weeks, so maybe his leaves started to extend. If I had to guess, more will be back once the leaves harden off so he can ship them.

way off topic, but i like the avatar. Big disc golfer here. Seasons just about to start for us.

Top Bottom