Cashew Pre-Bonsai - Need Help on What to Do Next!

cashew

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all! I joined this forum because I am a total beginner and in desperate need of help. Two years ago I germinated some cashews trees from seed. Since then I've been just allowing them to grow and get stronger, but I'm starting to feel like I need to begin working on them. They look very sparse.

A couple of days ago I pinched the tip of the leader branches off on both of them to hopefully encourage some growth in the lower branches. Aside from that, I'm lost. What should I do? Should I start wiring them into a more attractive shape? Do I need to chop anything off? Leave them alone let them grow more for a while longer?

Here's a photo of each of the two saplings. If these were your pre-bonsai, what would you do? Any help would really be appreciated :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know nothing about cashew, but if this were any tree I was familiar with I’d probably wire a little movement into the trunk and then just let it grow another year. To encourage growth you might want to slightly up-pot it. Do those pots have drain holes?

cashew

Seed
Reaction score
I know nothing about cashew, but if this were any tree I was familiar with I’d probably wire a little movement into the trunk and then just let it grow another year. To encourage growth you might want to slightly up-pot it. Do those pots have drain holes?
Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a good plan! Yes, both pots have drainage holes, but I'm sure the plants would both enjoy being repotted :)

Top Bottom