potentially an awesome nebari

And, really, when have you ever seen a single trunk azalea that's not a bonsai? Frankly, I never have. They're bushes. Multiple trunks. Only when someone forces their will upon it will an azalea grow as a single trunk tree (or bush). So, the entire concept of a single trunk azalea is unnatural.

Gotcha! I picked this up yesterday for $29.98 :)

azalea.jpg

Dude, my point is what looks "natural" to one person might not look natural to another based upon their personal location and experience.

Fair enough. But you are arguing in general (which I agree with), while I am arguing specifically about these exposed root trees. I may not live in the south-east, but I can see a cypress bonsai and tell you whether the tree "feels" natural to me or not :)

For these exposed root trees I feel like these follow "natural" design:

exp2.jpg
exp3.jpg

exp5.jpg

And these do not:

exp1.jpg

exp4.jpg

exp7.jpg

It's not just the extent of the roots. It is the entire design of the tree - the balance, the line, the motion. To me bonsai is not just "an interesting tree in a pot". It HAS to tie back to nature, or it is not bonsai. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason my braided ficus example could not be placed in a pot and called bonsai. There as ZERO difference between it and some of these exposed root examples.

By the way, I showed my 15 year-old daughter these photos and I asked her which ones looked like they were natural, and could be found in nature or based on trees found in nature, and which ones were not. She chose the exact same trees for each category.

Now here are two interesting trees to discuss. The first is one of Harry Hirao's favorite trees. California juniper:

nat1.jpg

The second is from Bob Shimon. Coastal Redwood:

nat2.jpg

These are both very figurative designs. Neither has a literal "tree found in nature" look. But in both cases they were specifically designed to suggest a natural scene. For that reason I consider these bonsai though they break many other "rules".

Myself, I'm interested to see if the OP can keep this plant alive, never mind the roots!!
These Chinese bird plums are really finicky in my experience. It didn't seem to like being indoors for six months!!
No offence to the OP of course. But maybe a different species more adaptable to indoor conditions would be best.
Three or four years from now, looking at this tree, the OP might say, "What did I see in this?"
If it lives that long.:D

Now here are two interesting trees to discuss. The first is one of Harry Hirao's favorite trees. California juniper:

View attachment 92347

The second is from Bob Shimon. Coastal Redwood:

View attachment 92348

These are both very figurative designs. Neither has a literal "tree found in nature" look. But in both cases they were specifically designed to suggest a natural scene. For that reason I consider these bonsai though they break many other "rules".
The California Junipet has a fantastic trunk, but the styling?

Either, make it into a cascade, or develop the foliage to come back and wrap around the back of the trunk to bring the apex over the high point of the deadwood.

The California Junipet has a fantastic trunk, but the styling?

My initial response exactly. But this tree has never been styled. It has never been wired. It has only been trimmed. To Mr. Hirao it represented a lone tree on a hillside, and once you think of it that way, you understand it.

Bob's tree represents a redwood on a cliff, where the deadwood of the trunk is the stone of the cliff. It was originally quite a large tree with a trunk that was about 8" in diameter and only one live vein. He carved the trunk deadwood to represent the cliff, and styled the vein as a tree.

Two unnatural designs... based on nature :)

I also prefer a naturalistic look. I am hoping to achieve styles for my trees that remind me of natural ones. I am not into cookie cutter trees either though Bonsai Nut's examples are amazing despite not being truly "natural". Especially the cliff one.

Myself, I'm interested to see if the OP can keep this plant alive, never mind the roots!!
These Chinese bird plums are really finicky in my experience. It didn't seem to like being indoors for six months!!
No offence to the OP of course. But maybe a different species more adaptable to indoor conditions would be best.
Three or four years from now, looking at this tree, the OP might say, "What did I see in this?"
If it lives that long.:D
At the min it's getting stronger and healther then when I got it and when it's warm out side it can sit outside

Fare enough...some exposed roots are epic fails...others are fascinating and I would love one for my own bench. One day...the two styles I would like to see are the exposed root and literati on my bench. But...being selective on what gets put there. No epic failures desired.

Back
Top Bottom