panda's collection

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yep, I’m hoping the pumice beds can do double duty as winter protection and grow out boxes, especially for bagged or colandered trees. Inspired by @Maiden69 ‘s setup. Once I finally get around to finishing it up by installing the trellis windbreaks/frost blanket frames, I’ll make a post dedicated to it.

There are tradeoffs to using a rooftop, for sure.
Benefits: practically negligible chance of theft, LOTS of sun, great views of the city and water while working on my trees
Downsides: very windy, minimal shade, pain in the ass to haul stuff to the roof, nowhere to properly ground grow.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ve been really enjoying this tree, with it’s leaves dropped and this cheap (mildly tacky) bench from the hobby store. I believe it’s Dasiphora sp.
IMG_1014.jpeg
We also picked up a Picea glauca ‘Conica’ to serve as our Christmas tree. Not really a bonsai, but I may enter it in the contest that is starting up.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A few mame that I picked up on 99 cent auctions on FB.

A cute J. procumbens in a Bigei pot
IMG_1141.jpeg
Needs to be styled, but since I had to pot it way early, I’ll likely wait until fall.

A cool exposed root Premna microphylla in a gorgeous Akinai pot

IMG_1192.jpeg
Now, did I buy these trees just because I underestimated the size of the pots when I bought them? That’s a very odd question to ask, why would one think that??

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 25

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Consider doing some root work. It took me a while to recognize the importance of what we can’t see. The last couple of years I’ve gone through the root work on the majority of my trees. Easy to ignore but equally as important.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I appreciate the tip! Always looking to learn from the hard fought lessons of others. This is a big part of my plans for this spring (see attached database). 20 trees on the docket this year!

I also remembered that I have at least two sessions repotting with pros. Trying to get more reps repotting with others, and planning to be some free “help” in exchange for getting to look under the hoods.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-24_at_4.37.00_PM.png
    Screenshot_2024-01-24_at_4.37.00_PM.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 26

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A mountain hemlock update

With the help of some experiences club members, I reworked some of the wiring on my funky mountain hemlock. The lower two apices now look presentable, but the top one still has some growing to do. Plan to repot it next spring.
IMG_1324.jpeg

Because I enjoyed working that one so much, and it was from Anton’s last haul, I picked up another one. This tree will get the opposite plan, getting a repot this spring and will wait to be styled until at least the fall.IMG_1391.jpeg
After looking at this tree and its picture, I don’t think that this angle is really the right one. Oh well, we’ll be able to figure that out once we get it out of this pot.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Looking at some of Anton's recent haul as well. Some great trees...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A mountain hemlock update

With the help of some experiences club members, I reworked some of the wiring on my funky mountain hemlock. The lower two apices now look presentable, but the top one still has some growing to do. Plan to repot it next spring.
View attachment 526787

Because I enjoyed working that one so much, and it was from Anton’s last haul, I picked up another one. This tree will get the opposite plan, getting a repot this spring and will wait to be styled until at least the fall.View attachment 526786
After looking at this tree and its picture, I don’t think that this angle is really the right one. Oh well, we’ll be able to figure that out once we get it out of this pot.
Nice trees. Hemlock is what I want next!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One of many options
IMG_2720.jpeg
Removing the two long running laterals relieves some tension and possibly enhances/shows off the elegant trunk line. The possibilities are endless here though.

The trunk/base could also emerge from the background with trunk arching forward toward the viewer and either to the left or right (almost bowing in respect), which also likely has implications on the long running (but decent) primary branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I cannot stop looking at your second Hemlock. Very interesting trunk line and branching. I don’t even know if this idea is possible or how firm or pliable the branches are, but:

IMG_2725.jpeg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
These are good ideas, but I think the tree needs to be rotated about 50-90 degrees counterclockwise, as that’s where all the trunk motion is. I’ll have a long year to watch it on my bench though, and will certainly have updates.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I appreciate the tip! Always looking to learn from the hard fought lessons of others. This is a big part of my plans for this spring (see attached database). 20 trees on the docket this year!

I also remembered that I have at least two sessions repotting with pros. Trying to get more reps repotting with others, and planning to be some free “help” in exchange for getting to look under the hoods.

Wow! Now that is some great organization. Would come in handy when I am trying to remember how long a tree has been since a repot 🤣

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
a closeup of that second hemlock’s trunk from the side I described
IMG_1408.jpeg
and a bark glory pic of my hawthorn that I haven’t posted. sharing a sneak peak, but will share it in detail after I style it with Andrew Robson in a workshop 😉
IMG_1045.jpeg
Wow! Now that is some great organization. Would come in handy when I am trying to remember how long a tree has been since a repot 🤣
Thank you! I joked to a friend that if I put half as much work into organizing and planning my actual job, I’d be far more successful. All of these database pages also include work logs of trees. The idea is to eventually share them broadly as a sort of “behind the scenes” blog, and also to be able to provide them to buyers as adoption papers. I need to clean some things up before sharing them, but I would like to eventually have a link in my signature. The ultimate response to the “show me your trees” challenge 😂

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
a closeup of that second hemlock’s trunk from the side I described
View attachment 526829
and a bark glory pic of my hawthorn that I haven’t posted. sharing a sneak peak, but will share it in detail after I style it with Andrew Robson in a workshop 😉
View attachment 526830

Thank you! I joked to a friend that if I put half as much work into organizing and planning my actual job, I’d be far more successful. All of these database pages also include work logs of trees. The idea is to eventually share them broadly as a sort of “behind the scenes” blog, and also to be able to provide them to buyers as adoption papers. I need to clean some things up before sharing them, but I would like to eventually have a link in my signature. The ultimate response to the “show me your trees” challenge 😂

Haha! I am kind of the opposite in the sense that my job requires meticulous record keeping…so when it comes to my trees it is liberating to not have to document everything that I do 😂

Love your system though! Maybe some day I will be more disciplined and adopt such a system 😃

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Great movement on both trees and the bark is a real highlight...

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
What type of soil mix are you using for the Hemlocks?

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What type of soil mix are you using for the Hemlocks?
Planning to do pumice and akadama, probably something like 60/40 as that’s whats recommended by the grower I bought them from.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Makes sense. Just ordered some of both for mine coming in two weeks...

Top Bottom