Overlooked Species?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I realized that not many are working with Vachelia Caven and started wondering if there were tree species that are maybe being overlooked for their bonsai potential. VC are tropical evergreens in the legume family. Seeds were very easy to germinate. Trees grows relatively fast and respond very well to pruning. Leaves are bipinnate and feathery. I like the foliage on these better than the rounder versions found on Brazilian Raintrees and Acacia. Somewhat drought tolerant, so less pooky than a BR. VC will produce little pom pom flowers that smell amazing (and massive thorns). Small scars from pruning in the fall are almost healed over. Tree didn't seem to mind its one minor repot (I hear other nitrogen fixing plants can be less than happy about this). Haven't tried cuttings so don't yet know how easy it easy to propagate. More than happy to share cuttings if they take in an attempt to share the joy of this tree.

I would recommend folks give VC a try. Any species you are working with that are less than common, but maybe should be used more?

Attachments

• vcc.jpg
    vcc.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 114

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I realized that not many are working with Vachelia Caven and started wondering if there were tree species that are maybe being overlooked for their bonsai potential. VC are tropical evergreens in the legume family. Seeds were very easy to germinate. Trees grows relatively fast and respond very well to pruning. Leaves are bipinnate and feathery. I like the foliage on these better than the rounder versions found on Brazilian Raintrees and Acacia. Somewhat drought tolerant, so less pooky than a BR. VC will produce little pom pom flowers that smell amazing (and massive thorns). Small scars from pruning in the fall are almost healed over. Tree didn't seem to mind its one minor repot (I hear other nitrogen fixing plants can be less than happy about this). Haven't tried cuttings so don't yet know how easy it easy to propagate. More than happy to share cuttings if they take in an attempt to share the joy of this tree.

I would recommend folks give VC a try. Any species you are working with that are less than common, but maybe should be used more?
If you ever get an extra, I’d like to try it. Maybe I’ll have something to trade.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

A little reading shows that they used to be in genus acacia. They grow fast once germinated which is a plus over Texas ebony. They are adaptable to both dry and humid climates, the wood does not rot and they take to pruning well.

I would get rid of the taproot in your seedlings asap.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
I have some Siberian crab apple seedlings I’d trade if interested.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you ever get an extra, I’d like to try it.
I will try some cuttings and if it works, all yours.
I would get rid of the taproot in your seedlings asap.
Yes, and they grow fast as well. When I repotted I removed the taproots and was concerned the tree would just die as there wasn't all that much roots.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The thorns! :oops:
But I personally find something fascinating about the idea of extra pokey trees.
That's probably because I don't have any, though.😏

I have a couple little china doll trees - radermachera sinica. They're barely saplings, so no styling yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with them. Compound foliage on this particular species that form small glossy emerald green leaflets that are just gorgeous. I believe also in the legume family, like catalpa as well. Amenable to indoor growing if given enough light, so maybe something suitable for the apartment lifestyle that isn't ficus. We'll see.
IMG_20240320_133842_120.jpg
IMG_20240320_133849_568.jpg

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Rocky Mountain Maple is pretty awesome. Very similar to Japanese maple as far as leaf size, internode length, bark, care requirements. But much more cold hardy.

I’ve got a couple I am working on!
I really like Acer glabrum too! They’re native to my province so it was easy to find some seeds to start. Small leaves are definitely a positive of this species.

On the aspect of cold hardiness, I find them incredibly cold tolerant to our harsh winters here. I’ve only protected them so far by burying their pots up to the rim in the fall, and they’ve been able to take -35° Celsius last winter without any sort of dieback.

I will add that I believe Acer pseudosieboldianum is extremely underrated in the north. These also can survive winter temperatures here with the same protection I described above. The leaves are very reminiscent of Acer palmatum and often show a gradient of purple to red to orange to yellow all on the same leave in the autumn. I believe that they’re the only species in the Acer sect. palmata that possess this level of cold hardiness. The tomentose new growth is also pretty interesting since this level of fuzziness was a bit unexpected for me!

Attachments

• 994D2F60-C52A-4C9B-8962-E49D36545D25.jpeg
    994D2F60-C52A-4C9B-8962-E49D36545D25.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 1193FD49-D946-4265-A453-E6DC116A9146.jpeg
    1193FD49-D946-4265-A453-E6DC116A9146.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My issue with Rocky Mountain maple is how often I find them in a compound leaf form. Many of the local trees around hear do this; the lobes essentially dividing into individual leaflets each as large as a regular leaf. I'm not sure what triggers it.

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My issue with Rocky Mountain maple is how often I find them in a compound leaf form. Many of the local trees around hear do this; the lobes essentially dividing into individual leaflets each as large as a regular leaf. I'm not sure what triggers it.
Acer glabrum var. neomexicanum naturally has compound leaves. It’s actually a pretty prized variety on the UBC Maple forum, especially popular in Europe. I imagine that it wouldn’t be too useful for the purposes of bonsai though.

I’ve never seen this trait in the Acer glabrum var. douglasii that are native to the Alberta Rocky Mountains.

Below is a photo of Acer glabrum var. neomexicanum from UKiNaturalist.

Attachments

• E4CC9349-3A1C-4D7F-B656-FA703FCE8DCB.jpeg
    E4CC9349-3A1C-4D7F-B656-FA703FCE8DCB.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 41

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool, never heard of this maple. How big are the leaves?
Acer glabrum has quite a large distribution of leaf size depending on the subspecies. Here in Alberta we see Acer glabrum var. douglasii.

I’ve seen individuals in the mountains here with leaves in the 10-12 cm range. But, it’s not uncommon to find individuals with small leaves around 5 cm across. I have a particular seedling with 3 cm leaves, and this is without any sort bonsai techniques at play on account of it being in the grow-out stage. Please see the attached photo from last spring.

Attachments

• 1A0BE4FB-0AA1-457D-9A03-151F61C6931E.jpeg
    1A0BE4FB-0AA1-457D-9A03-151F61C6931E.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 48

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Acer pseudosieboldianum has giant leaves.
While Acer pseudosieboldianum has larger leaves on average than A. palmatum, I think it would be wrong to call them giant in my experience. Out of my 7 seed grown individuals, the one with the largest leaves has a diameter of 8 cm. My smallest leaved Korean maple has 5 cm leaves. While these wouldn’t make great shohin sized trees, I believe they would work well for medium to large size bonsai, especially after natural leaf reduction from increased branch ramification.

This species is also the only substitute for Acer palmatum with that intriguing leaf shape for those of us in USDA zones 3 and 4. I have ‘Arctic Jade’ and ‘Ice Dragon’ as garden trees and they take our winters without skipping a beat. These cultivars would be awful for bonsai since they have unusually large leaves, they do look rather striking in the landscape though!

Last edited:

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
While Acer pseudosieboldianum has larger leaves on average than A. palmatum, I think it would be wrong to call them giant in my experience
Pretty cool. The hardiness is a huge plus. Wonder if the leaves reduce from defoliation or otherwise. Acer rubrum leaves will reduce substantially after defoliation for example.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I just started a loblolly pine as I don't see it used, so I figured i'd give it a try

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Attachments

• IMG_9529.png
    IMG_9529.png
    223 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom