The species of tree you take to Mars.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The banyan tree is popularly known for its ability to emit a large amount of oxygen. Planting such trees in your surroundings (like in your Martian habitat) can be extremely beneficial as they ensure the purity of air and reduce the presence of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The banyan has medicinal properties apart from its rich oxygen emission.

The banyan is unusual in that it emits oxygen throughout both day and night (instead of just during active photosynthesis during the day like most trees). Trees that release oxygen at night undergo a type of photosynthesis called Crassulacean Acid Metabolism (CAM) where the leaf stomata opens at night and collects CO2 from the atmosphere for use during photosynthesis during the day. The primary advantage of this schedule is that it allows leaf stomata to remain closed during the day - giving the tree dramatically improved water conservation. Since water conservation in your Martian habitat is critical, a banyan is an excellent choice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rowan tree
Out of curiosity, have you bonsai’d Rowan? I have a bunch of them in nursery pots that I wanted to try.

Keeping my post in the spirit of this thread, Juniperus rigida (Needle Juniper). I’m determined to finish developing the ones I have so, those puppies are going with me to Mars.

Last edited:

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Out of curiosity, have you bonsai’d Rowan? I have a bunch of them in nursery pots that I wanted to try.

Keeping my post in the spirit of this thread, Juniperus rigida (Needle Juniper). I’m determined to finish developing the ones I have so, those puppies are going with me to Mars.
No, I am not even able to grow one in the ground... I don't think they like the summer humidity. 😕
I've seen a couple examples in books and on the web.
I just like them they were around evwrywhere when I was a kid...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, I am not even able to grow one in the ground... I don't think they like the summer humidity. 😕
I've seen a couple examples in books and on the web.
I just like them they were around evwrywhere when I was a kid...
You must’ve spent your childhood in England or Ireland.
I have found that mine barely tolerate the summers here on the Cape. I was never sure if it was the heat or if it was the humidity.
I am definitely gonna attempt an air layer this year (as soon as the growth hardens off). That may even lead to my first tree development thread here on Bonsai Nut.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must’ve spent your childhood in England or Ireland.
I have found that mine barely tolerate the summers here on the Cape. I was never sure if it was the heat or if it was the humidity.
I am definitely gonna attempt an air layer this year (as soon as the growth hardens off). That may even lead to my first tree development thread here on Bonsai Nut.
Kiev, Ukraine. They were used as street trees a lot and in parks of course. Pretty year around.

Top Bottom