Are there any good flowering tree species for harsh winters?

Azz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm from Northern Europe and have got a few junipers, pines and yews and am quite new to Bonsai. Recently been thinking of getting into some flowering trees but I have no idea about what species or if they will survive in the winters here.

Last winter it got as low as -30c and I don't have a greenhouse, only an open balcony to my apartment. Are there any species that can handle this sort of weather, possible in a cold frame? Maybe one I can bring inside for the winter?

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im sure there are some very cold hardy species of hawthorn and crabapple.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
As mentioned above, hawthorn and crab apple are quite cold hardy. Others to consider are certain cherries, pears, as well as serviceberry- amelanchier. Still, even the cold hardiest trees might need help in your situation. Some sort of cold frame built or placed up against the building wall would provide some protection.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I think -30° is brutal cold, especially on balcony. But with decent protection against wind and drought it co be doable. I think prunus spinosa, cornus mas, cornus sanguinea, prunus mahleb could do that. I use to have frost down to -20°, but winters are lot less harsh during recent times. All my trees ale always outside, stored on ground. Would be good to look around what your country fellow bonsai guys are abel to grow, it could give you some guidance.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think your best bet is to visit a local nursery and see what they’re selling for landscape trees. When you find a flowering tree at the nursery that interests you, just pull out your phone and do a quick search on BNut to see if it’s something that is considered to be suitable for bonsai culture.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont recommend crabapples
Try hawthornes

I am curious how your yews survived last Winter, their root kill temperature is like -9 or -10°C
Must be proximity to your heated apartment, and the -30 was measured far enough away
If you reduce wind on your balcony in Winter and never leave the house unheated for long, it might not be such a tough spot

Azz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I dont recommend crabapples
Try hawthornes

I am curious how your yews survived last Winter, their root kill temperature is like -9 or -10°C
Must be proximity to your heated apartment, and the -30 was measured far enough away
If you reduce wind on your balcony in Winter and never leave the house unheated for long, it might not be such a tough spot
I had them in a tub with straw up against my apartment with a little bit of wall/window touching only a tiny part of it. I also had an airy white cloth material over them and when we had it, I piled snow around the tub/on it to try to insulate them from the wind. The whole apartment building is also heated by the company that runs it, so it was a constant temp all winter basically. But it is a very exposed balcony, basically a concrete slab with metal bar railing around the 3 sides. maybe 2.5m x 2.5m

It seems to have worked. Junipers survived, yews survived but my mugo pine didn't along with a couple of others. They're also still in nursery pots and soil.

This year I am thinking of trying to build a little cold frame, not sure how to though and with what material will be good. Never done it.

Reaction score
I'm Thinking....

What kinds of Tropicals are good species to start with?

I always seem to lean toward types that do poorly like Divi Divi ( Lives on) or Calandria powder puff ( sense died)

Right now I have a joy purfume tree Magnolia champaca and R semensis I have a sunny east window setup that gets full sun for half the day.

A couple of bullhorns and a surname cherry Round out my collecton as well.

Reaction score
THe R seamensis has done well so far. its a tropical species from thailand and hads flowers along the branches that are fragrent.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm from Northern Europe and have got a few junipers, pines and yews and am quite new to Bonsai. Recently been thinking of getting into some flowering trees but I have no idea about what species or if they will survive in the winters here.

Last winter it got as low as -30c and I don't have a greenhouse, only an open balcony to my apartment. Are there any species that can handle this sort of weather, possible in a cold frame? Maybe one I can bring inside for the winter?

Any suggestions would be awesome.
It would be useful if your location could be more precise - Northern Europe is really vague and covers a massive range of climatic variations LOL

Top Bottom