oops

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
oooops i might have done to much to this little juniperus old gold

good practice and for only €2,50 i dared to push it to its limits i sure hope it will survive going to protect it from frost if it survives i think it has a decent start

and i do know my wireing sucks lol

open to all toughts and criticism!

before:

Screenshot_2016-12-08-12-17-11.png

after
Screenshot_2016-12-08-12-16-17.png

Screenshot_2016-12-08-12-16-33.png

lowest trunk is for back-up plan wich is if main trunk dies to grow out or of it survives to be jinned eventualy

other low branch as back branch or Jin or New leader if nessecary

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you picked a good trunk line and kept good branches.

I most like the Plan B branch!
I keep back up plans too.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Might have done too much. Let it rest. Do nothing more now. See how it recovers.

Either way it's a learning experience.

Reaction score
Heya Dennis, you're chopping 'em up like a chopping factory man ;)
If this tree was mine I'd put it as it is now in the ground for a couple of years, with sacrifice branches on every branch, to keep the plant compact but still have it thickening up, if you know what I mean.

Oooorrrrrr, when fully recovered, I'd cut off everything except for the lowest branch and bring that down to make a mame/shohin.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Heya Dennis, you're chopping 'em up like a chopping factory man ;)
If this tree was mine I'd put it as it is now in the ground for a couple of years, with sacrifice branches on every branch, to keep the plant compact but still have it thickening up, if you know what I mean.

Oooorrrrrr, when fully recovered, I'd cut off everything except for the lowest branch and bring that down to make a mame/shohin.

idea is to go shohin anyway i know what You mean i might put it in the ground but after winter so the roots can be sorted out for now on cold days ill keep it in the winter shelter and see what happens lol

Reaction score
idea is to go shohin anyway i know what You mean i might put it in the ground but after winter so the roots can be sorted out for now on cold days ill keep it in the winter shelter and see what happens lol

Good idea, am curious to see the development on your trees

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the Trunk line you picked, and it has great taper. But that was SUCH a run on sentence!:p
(Please mind my OCD)

Aaron

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update
Still a little green but my guess is that i will have to go with the backup plan ill plant it i the ground and going to forget about it for a few years lol

20170414_181331.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It wasn't the amount of foliage left on but the health of the foliage left on. The branches that died were already yellow and not strong.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I love these inexpensive hardware store trees. I have learned as much with them as I have anywhere else. How to root prune. How not to root prune. Learning to wire. Learning to not wire a week after a repot. Etc.

You will have a nice little tree with enough of the these mistakes. You will get your taper in a couple years now.

Have fun.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20170825_104244.jpg 20170825_104300.jpg 20170825_104538.jpg 20170825_104554.jpg

I do see a small double trunk tree in this one
The branch covered up with cloth will remain to taper it up some more to be turned into a jin eventualy !

Glad its still alive lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom