Oops - nicked bark with wire.

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nicked the branch of this maple when wiring a branch today. Will this kill the branch?

First time I've nicked on :/

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 113
Nicked the branch of this maple when wiring a branch today. Will this kill the branch?

First time I've nicked on :/
It's very doubtful that the branch will die. Nicking and cracking branches is just part of bonsai, it happens all the time. One note; the wire on that branch looks way to thick for it.

I thought the wire was thick too, but the branch was very firm.

Thanks for the help! I thought the branch was a goner.

As Vin said it will likely just push on.. However, if you simplified that area to just one branch you might not have to work in such close quarters :rolleyes:

That tiny little flesh wound couldn't hurt a fly. If a trunk chop won't kill the tree it's extremely rare for a branch to die from a small cut. The only thing that has a better chance of killing the branch is the stress from wiring the branch itself.

That tiny little flesh wound couldn't hurt a fly. If a trunk chop won't kill the tree it's extremely rare for a branch to die from a small cut. The only thing that has a better chance of killing the branch is the stress from wiring the branch itself.
Wiring doesn't stress the tree. Bending it does.

Who wires without bending?
Ok don't answer that....

But.....

If you wire every branch with the care shown here.....
Errrr....
Lil stressed!

Sorce

Who wires without bending?
Ok don't answer that....

But.....

If you wire every branch with the care shown here.....
Errrr....
Lil stressed!

Sorce
Here's some wiring with no bends.
Dunno if being formal upright has anything to do with it, but I think they could use better arrangement for group style.:p
wires.jpg

Thickness of wire depends on stiffnesss of the Branch and the bend you want. With First styling using bigger is often better. The little wound Will not Hurt. Keep in Mind that there might Be swelling over there so IT might grow in faster.

English not being my first language, that's perhaps why I can understand what he means.

I saw in another thread how Mr Kimura showed how the gauge of wires should be adapted to the thickness of a branch, with electric wires of different sizes ans colours to illustrate what he meant.

He's just reminding us that the gauge of wires (aluminium or copper) must be adapted to the size, and the characteristics, of a tree. Sometimes basics are welcome remembered zu be, especially wenn a newbee izt wandering was he hat done wrong - or not.

Nae?... :p

Hey-.jpg

English not being my first language, that's perhaps why I can understand what he means.

I saw in another thread how Mr Kimura showed how the gauge of wires should be adapted to the thickness of a branch, with electric wires of different sizes ans colours to illustrate what he meant.

He's just reminding us that the gauge of wires (aluminium or copper) must be adapted to the size, and the characteristics, of a tree. Sometimes basics are welcome remembered zu be, especially wenn a newbee izt wandering was he hat done wrong - or not.

Nae?... :p

View attachment 102481
Alain, were you referring to this picture?

image.jpeg

The primary purpose of this picture is to illustrate the placement of the wire. How one wire is used to wire two branches. How they are anchored. How they don't cross, etc.

It is also true that you use heavier wire for thicker branches, and thinner wire for smaller ones. Always use the smallest wire possible to do the job. But, if the wire us too small to hold, remove it and replace with a larger one. It is better to use one larger correctly sized wire than two smaller wires. If in doubt, I will opt for a wire slightly too big than slightly too small. I would rather not have to remove and replace a wire that's too small.

So, to give a general idea, the thinnest wire I ever use on JBP is 16 gauge. JWP, I will use 18.

Back
Top Bottom