One of my Homestead Pinions for collecting in the spring

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Tucson AZ most collecting in SW NM at 6'700"
attachment.php

Ditched, pruned, a bit of bending, watered and fed before the rains.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
attachment.php

Ditched, pruned, a bit of bending, watered and fed before the rains.

Pinions are beautiful trees. I have a bunch of pictures I plan on posting of this species from our trip out your way this summer. I do have a question: Do you know if this is a normal two-needle Pinion or is it the single leaf Pinion? If it is Edulis I would consider waiting till the tree is a little stronger. It appears to me that the growth indicates that the tree is in Juvenile growth mode, something uncommon.

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Back left, dead Mt Mohogany

It is a 2 leaf.

All this growth popped after candling, ditching, and tap root cut 8"down in July. Watered and lightly fertilized until the rains came in Sept. He seems very healthy and happy to me. This growth is all buds behind the spring candles. Growing at 6,700' in nearly full sun.

Atrox

Mame
Reaction score
Not with Pinion

This spring/summer is the first time I have been able to hunt/find/work on and potentially collect anything but a stick in a pot. This year I have ditched and done a bit of pruning on pinions, Ponderosa, Mt Mahogany and Scrub (?) Oak. All done in June/July and all developed typical growth or better than the surrounding trees. All were watered regularly after ditching until the rains came. I don't plan to put any of them directly in "Bonsai" pots. I have been very selective on what I choose, if the first spot of the ditch didn't reach rock or very compact decomposing granite I filled in and went back to looking.

For each species and the general collecting this board is where I have learned the drill, s'pose Spring of 15 will tell if I learned anything hahaha

I plan to leave all collected up in the NM mountains for at least the first year or 2 after collecting before attempting to move down to Tucson.

Last edited:
Top Bottom