Nursery pots - "trade gallons" versus "real" gallons

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for posting! Iā€™ve always thought 1 gallon pots didnā€™t past the eye test.

I just learned that a 5 gallon bucket is actually 7ish gallons. It can ā€œhold 5 gallons of a liquid and safely be transported.ā€ A bit frustrating when you use it to estimate your soil needs.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just learned that a 5 gallon bucket is actually 7ish gallons. It can ā€œhold 5 gallons of a liquid and safely be transported.ā€ A bit frustrating when you use it to estimate your soil needs.
huh? A 5 gallon bucket hold exactly 5.1 gallons of any fluid. The .1 is left empty when filled at the factories with paint or any other liquid. What 5 gallon bucket are you talking about?
Plus the fact that many growers up-pot small plants then immediately release them for sale at the price of the larger pot
This! One thing that drives me nuts about MrMaple, but in their defense, they did add a "caveat" to their tree descriptions to add that they were liners that had just been potted up. In contrast, all the 1 gal tress I bought from Brent were actually bigger than MrMaple. Now MrMaple sells what they call a 1 Gal large, which are trees that have been in the container for almost a full growing season.

1706712126700.png

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I often see plant schedules in plans that call for plants to be specific sizes in addition to the pot size.
The only problem with that is designers and architects rarely vist nurseries or growers. I daily see plans requesting exceptionally large plants in small buckets. For example 8ft hollies in 15g containers ( If we could find an 8ft holly of said cultivar it would be in a 30 or 45g bucket) etc

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Anybody actually measure a 2x4? Can't depend on names at all.
Another quirk from the USA!
2x4 is the size the board was milled from the log. There's a little shrinkage as the wood dries so even a rough sawn 2x4 may be a little under but dressed boards have been through a planer to smooth and straighten them so a dressed 2x4 is quite a bit under that size.
Down here we switched to actual sizes many years ago so dressed boards are sold by their actual dimensions. 2x4 rough sawn = 50x100 metric mm. 2x4 dressed size is sold as 90x40 here and that's what you get.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
huh? A 5 gallon bucket hold exactly 5.1 gallons of any fluid. The .1 is left empty when filled at the factories with paint or any other liquid. What 5 gallon bucket are you talking about?
I was talking about the 5 gallons from Loweā€™s/HD, but after some googling, I have no idea where I got this info from haha. Just spreading bucket misinformation on the internet.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I remember reading into this some time ago. I found one article that seemed to make a little bit of sense in an off sorta way.šŸ¤Ø
I don't recall exactly, but they said something like: Back in ye oulden tymes, it really was the volume the pot was named for, but most nursery "pots" were actually buckets and cans or the like being repurposed for plants. As the nursery industry grew, and manufacturers began making purposes built nursery pots, the shape evolved to be slightly smaller at the bottom than the top. This mage it easier to get the root ball out in one piece when planting.
So while the height and top width remained the same, the width at the bottom narrowed, reducing the actual volume. But this happened on the heals of the parlance becoming standardized. Hence a 1 gallon pot is actually slightly less than 1 gallon.

That was a while ago, though, and really don't recall any particulars or where I found that article.
You may feel free to assume I'm talking out my ass.šŸ¤·
That's more commonly called a PFA

Top Bottom