USDA Zone
A M5 induced Ad!

QuickMemo+_2017-03-07-07-49-42.png

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In all honesty, a mixed genus planting was my initial thought. But I see @MACH5 as a perfectionist, so I figured leaf size would be a pretty significant hurdle. I'm curious how Beech leaves would "match up" with JM and Hornbeams. Arthur Joura in North Carolina has been doing mixed plantings for a while, but to me, the scale of the compositions he's done seems a little off.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice looking pot! It looks like a cake sitting in a kitchen! (btw, the kitchen looks good too, from the granite up; below that is sort of disastrous looking).

Interesting idea. I think it will look great, but you will have challenges keeping it looking young. I will be watching and admiring your work.

Thanks Don! LOL yes it sure does look like a cake in that kitchen. Good enough to eat! I think the idea behind it looking "young" is that branches will all be trained going upwards with strong movement towards the right. At least that's the initial idea. As it develops, I will let the trees guide me.

BTW that's Roy's kitchen. Not sure if perhaps he may be going for an eclectic "relaxed" style? :D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So exciting, what a forward idea. Def. out of the box!

Thanks Judy! Glad you like it. Roy did his part now is my turn so we'll see. I have a 2.0 version idea but before I say anything I have to ask Roy. I am not sure if it's technically possible.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In all honesty, a mixed genus planting was my initial thought. But I see @MACH5 as a perfectionist, so I figured leaf size would be a pretty significant hurdle. I'm curious how Beech leaves would "match up" with JM and Hornbeams. Arthur Joura in North Carolina has been doing mixed plantings for a while, but to me, the scale of the compositions he's done seems a little off.

Yes I know that forest well and I believe it is executed really well. I like it because it feels very natural. To your point I am not sure how those other species may work? Specially beech. I can always adjust and take them out. Mostly it will be a maple forest with some accents of other species sprinkled about. Looks good in my head. But reality may force me to make adjustments.

One of the most wonderful mixed forests ever was done by Saburo Kato. Although I have to wonder how it looked in summer with full grown leaves? Regardless I almost always design and aim for winter viewing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 9.13.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 9.13.19 AM.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 84

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice looking pot! It looks like a cake sitting in a kitchen! (btw, the kitchen looks good too, from the granite up; below that is sort of disastrous looking).

From my understanding the wood underneath the granite is old barn siding that Roy liked and decided to use for the island.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
From my understanding the wood underneath the granite is old barn siding that Roy liked and decided to use for the island.
maybe it looks good when you see the whole thing, but from the photos it doesn't appear to fit in. of course, it only matters that he likes it.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've wanted to do a mixed setup for some time, but have been waiting until I gain more experience. I'd love to have a pine and Japanese maple together on a rock.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've wanted to do a mixed setup for some time, but have been waiting until I gain more experience. I'd love to have a pine and Japanese maple together on a rock.

Funny I am also doing one this spring with mugo and Japanese maples. At least I hope! Good minds think alike I guess. :D

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
WHOOMP there it is!

Shipping this week. LanceMac10 was indeed very close! Using over 100 Japanese maple seedlings combined with beech and Korean hornbeams will be used to assemble together a leaning style forest planting of very narrow depth...

Wow. Incredible pot for an incredible idea. Cant wait to see the vision become a reality. Do you anticipate any open space in your composition? such as a valley or field?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow. Incredible pot for an incredible idea. Cant wait to see the vision become a reality. Do you anticipate any open space in your composition? such as a valley or field?

Thanks Keith! Yes some open spaces will be created to let the composition "breath". But I believe the appeal here is the mass of trees all going in the same direction. I am also thinking about having the soil line undulate to create a slight up and down movement. I will have to see about that since I am not convinced.

Top Bottom