NEW TREE!!!

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Need some help on what to do to this nice little 6 inch bonsai. I think its a golden gate ficus not to sure, rescued it from a walmart near me and wondering if I should repot it or what all iv done is given her a drink of water. All I used for my plants is distilled hope thats good. Here are so pics of her:
20160321_234506.jpg20160321_234236.jpg20160321_234218.jpg 20160321_234204.jpg 20160321_234251.jpg 20160321_234305.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the first test run for my bonsai stealing drones was a success.....

And a long run across country borders!

Still have to work on lifting capacities....

But.....20160322_032519.jpg

I got your lighter!

Lol!

Let it grow!
Do you have simple fluorescents for the winter?

Sorce

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Ya I do but I was thinking on building a greenhouse for winter protection. Have designs for a temperature controled green house with self opening windows and a thermostat that can control a heater or fan for cooling or heating to keep it from getting to cold in there.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's from Walmart you might want to think about getting it out of that crap they plant it in ... and if those are the glued on rocks get them out of there!

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Ya was thinking that but didnt know. So should I repot it into my soil 3 part mixture of sand shreded coco and beach pebbles or leave her to grow. Looks not to bad of condition from a walmart.1458661018813800943539.jpg

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm still larning and experimenting with soil so I'm not going to attempt to tell you what's good or not for you... sorry.

But I do know any time I do happen to look at the soil those are in it looks like a sponge more then dirt... maby yours is better.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That soil looks a bit ....
Non drainy enough...
Ish.

Sorce

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Idk I havent repoted it im only using it for my seed right now. But what do you think it needs. Like I said 3 parts shredded coco sand and beach pebbles. It drains fairly well but im still new and learning maybe more pebbles or sand.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hi
It's a ficus retusa tiger bark and if it comes from Walmart, yes, the soil is crappy.

So first of all remove the glued on gravel.
Then pot it in a good drainage soil and pot (ie. the Walmart pot are generally crappy also so a pot with enough holes to allow a nice drainage).
For the soil I use the mix recommend by Brent Watson: 8 parts perlites, 8 parts pine bark (rather fine), 1 part perlite + osmocte fertilizer 14/14/14
Then let it grow, outside if possible (speaking of which it would be nice that you complete the location part of your profile as it's important to know in which climate your tree is supposed to live).

Normally those ficus are really resistant so everything should be fine.
Something that kill them very efficiently though is the cold, I unfortunately learned that with mines this winter... :(

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I repotted my 2 year old airlayered ficus branch few weeks ago, and it died :( Maybe it's better to repot more near the summer?

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok thx for all the help guys.

You are welcome!

Btw I did a typo in my soil desription, it's 8 parts perlite + 8 parts pine bark + 1 part sphagmun moss, not perlite again...

And living in ON your guy will have to be inside a large part of the year so seriously: not too cold (I put mines in a room which T was around 55 F this winter, they are all dead now)

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Ya I do but I was thinking on building a greenhouse for winter protection. Have designs for a temperature controled green house with self opening windows and a thermostat that can control a heater or fan for cooling or heating to keep it from getting to cold in there.
Ya like I said about the cold. ^

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Made up some new soil: 2 parts perlite 2 parts srheded coco 1 part 7.7.7 general purpose fert.
1458681530166-1588265031.jpg
Is this good or should I add more perlite. And should I repot him now or wait until april may area of time.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It still looks too water retentive, even for a Ficus. Get soil water will run through, not be overly absorbed into. Don't repot until the tree is actively growing.

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I added more perlite and will let it drain the finer particles. And will wait abit before I repot it. It has a good amount of foliage right now, will wait untill I see it producing a good amount of new leaves.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ficus can live inside with sufficient light in the winter. You'd have to keep the temps pretty high in a tropical greenhouse over winter for a ficus.

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Im waiting abit until shes got more foliage shes abit sparse but will repot her soon. It looks like shes either in regular potting mix (minus the perlite) or top soil. So definitely will be soon. Have a mix of : 4 parts perlite 2 parts sredded coconut fiber (more of the rough fiber then the dirt like substance) and 1 part a.p. fertilizer 7.7.7 blend.

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Ficus can live inside with sufficient light in the winter. You'd have to keep the temps pretty high in a tropical greenhouse over winter for a ficus.
Thanks for the tip. Ill keep her inside then. Her friend like my six chinese elm seeds I got started, hopefuly some pop up, and my japanesse cherry blossom seeds too if they spout. Plan on picking up more but waiting to go to a gardening shop near me that sell anything from tools to bonsai trees next week. Im hoping to find acouple nice young ones so I can train them myself to look how I want it because they sell from pre bonsai all the way to styled and potted 20 yr old trees so hopefuly some nice ones.

Top Bottom