New stock twin trunk quince

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And it's humble beginnings...

Very nice! And not very often do I like a glazed pot but that one seems to work! When it does flower what is the color of that one?

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I don't usually try to teach stuff here, but here is something that took me a long time to really learn. You have to cut back the large growth every year to get the final image right. That's why D trees take so long. You have to work the tree for years down the road, not for how it looks this year. Here is the tree after the pruning. Oops, looks like I missed one on the right!
P1010594.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you find yourself making sketches to get a clearer idea of how you want to style a tree?I have a couple larger trees that I am finding I had to breakout the Sketches for iPad app.Totally new to me ,but I had to see what my options were.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
...You have to cut back the large growth every year to get the final image right. That's why D trees take so long. You have to work the tree for years down the road, not for how it looks this year. ...

Great advice, Judy. Sometimes I feel like the tree puts on a mile of wood for every inch of branch I keep. My summers are a constant cycle of wiring and pruning then dewiring and cutting back - sometimes 3 or more times during the growing season. Broadleaf trees take a long time to develop.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And you've done a great job on that quince - nice work!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you find yourself making sketches to get a clearer idea of how you want to style a tree?I have a couple larger trees that I am finding I had to breakout the Sketches for iPad app.Totally new to me ,but I had to see what my options were.
Not really unless the tree is very complicated. Usually the tree tells me where it wants to go.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking of repotting my Chinese Quince today. Buds have been forming since January, and have become more numerous. Just curious as to your own schedule, although my climate is somewhat colder. And I am aware you may use your greenhouse and/or heat mats. I have no such provisions, but from this point forward, I'm not worried about frost. Everything I have is still in storage.

Great Quince!:cool:

DSC00683.JPG :eek:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did read your Feb. post of a repot. That was a year with a early spring, correct?:confused:
Hitting the garage right now.......I told the tree, "This is happening".....:p
Thanks for the posts over time......:D
No fancy pot, it goes back in it's "blue pot":eek:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@LanceMac10 Yeah, these are not fazed by frosts I find in the spring. Just be cautious if the roots will freeze to protect. This tree gets little protection aside from being in the cold house, no heat mat for this one.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@JudyB I can't thank you enough for keeping up with this tree in terms of documenting it. This is such a nice tree, very well done!
Thanks lieuz, I like doing the documentation, helps me to see where I'm going. I hope that it's helpful to others as well.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
@JudyB tree looks great and the pot completes it.

Was these created with fusing 2 trees together.

I'm interested in trying to fuse 2 oaks together to create a twin trunk.

Not trying to stead thread.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No this is a single trunk, take a look at the early pictures, it looks like it is a single trunk to me.

Top Bottom