Hinoki from nursery stock

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Early 2022 I bought some Hinoki, they are a mild colour mutant expressed mainly at the elongating tips. The label is still lying around somewhere and I will ad the cultivar when I come across it. In the tag it shows the price and that was a good buy.

IMG_5087.jpeg

Once the trees became active and shoots started growing they all went through a repot with a strong root reduction. The reduction was accomplished by working from the top to expose the structural roots and after with an old saw the height was reduced to something close to the depth of a bonsai pot, working inward from the sides and bottom the rootball was loosened on the edges, circling and broken roots cut. The trees were planted into a bonsai container in 2:1:1 akadama, pumice, lava mix. The remaining nursery soil will probably be removed in early 2025.

IMG_5395.jpeg

This thread will further focus on the progress of my favourite tree, which main character is the split trunk and it will be styled as an upright tree based on coastal influences so branches will be styled going initially upward. All trees survived the repot.

IMG_5403.jpeg

The tree after initial styling summer 2023, the roots moving above the ground will be removed over time, the first bark on them was removed spring 2024. The tree is very much in development and lacks character but I think it is appropriate to style it as a young tree for the coming years.

IMG_5992.jpeg

Early 2024 I bought this pot that looks like a match (maybe next year but not in a hurry).

IMG_6970.jpeg

Just this week I did some pruning to clear up the tree and avoid unwanted die back. As all Hinoki it is a bit two dimensional but I hope to address that during wiring later this year.

IMG_7141.jpeg

Look forward to seeing the progress of this tree. Just wondering have you bent a lot of the wired branches to new positions at this point?

Look forward to seeing the progress of this tree. Just wondering have you bent a lot of the wired branches to new positions at this point?
Yes although most to make the 3d placement and create similar angles and movement.

I was wondering did you have to rake out a lot of top soil to expose the roots? My nursery stock Hinoki is about the same size as yours but maybe a bit taller, and is currently potted in nursery pot. However it looks like it has no nebari. I cleaned up some of the surface soil but it’s covered in tiny roots so I didn’t want to dig much deeper (will repot next year)

I was wondering did you have to rake out a lot of top soil to expose the roots? My nursery stock Hinoki is about the same size as yours but maybe a bit taller, and is currently potted in nursery pot. However it looks like it has no nebari. I cleaned up some of the surface soil but it’s covered in tiny roots so I didn’t want to dig much deeper (will repot next year)
These were fairly recently up-potted and I have to dig down a bit and only had to remove some minor roots on the way down. I removed everything till finding structural roots 5cm / 2 inches down. Interestingly I had another one that I thought were tree small cuttings but it turned out to be a multi trunk as it was potted too deep.

Back
Top Bottom