New Pot for my Redwood

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I recently repotted this Redwood project-(Sequoia Sempervirens) into a new container and wanted to share.

I plan to continue the foliage development on the tree over the next few years and allow the tree to fill out more. I also hope the deadwood continues to naturally darken. I purchased this tree several years back at a Bay Island Bonsai show from Zack and Bob Shimon. I was initially attracted to the unusual burl feature at the base. At the time, I could only see one large hole in the deadwood, however upon closely examining the front of the tree was hit by termites which created more interesting deadwood.

The new container is made by @NaoTK I was extremely impressed with the quality and believe he are extremely lucky to have him as an American Bonsai Ceramicist. I know he's super booked up, hoping I'll be able to convince him to make me more pots in the future;)

Redwood1.JPG

Red Wood .jpg

The tree after it's first repot several years back.

redwood2.JPG

Details of the Mokko container
redwood4.jpg

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Someone came by as I was making this pot and said "I want one too." So then I made one with a much thicker rim for that person and I think a thicker rim would also look better for this pot. Like 1 inch thicker to give it that Gyozan feeling. I can do this again next Winter with my Faux-zan clay mix.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spectacular pot @NaoTK . Also impressive material @yenling83 . Though I personally think the trees apex feels outweighed by it’s base and pot at the moment, I do think that once the foliage has developed and filled out a more robust aged profile, the entire composition will be just stellar. Can’t wait to see it develop into a masterpiece!

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Spectacular pot @NaoTK . Also impressive material @yenling83 . Though I personally think the trees apex feels outweighed by it’s base and pot at the moment, I do think that once the foliage has developed and filled out a more robust aged profile, the entire composition will be just stellar. Can’t wait to see it develop into a masterpiece!
Thanks! Yes I most def agree with you. It will look much better in 2-3 years. They grow fast

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Almost looks like a Ishizuki until you realize its the own deadwood from the tree and not a rock hehe

Top Bottom