New Olive Question

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just received a 12 year old Olive Tree that I ordered from Israel. I planted it in a large pot because I want it to grow out for a few years. The seller said that I should keep it out of direct sunlight for the first couple of weeks, but I would think that after spending a couple of weeks in the dark (in transport) it would need some sunlight. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_0413.PNG
    IMG_0413.PNG
    211.1 KB · Views: 77

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After transport stress, I would keep it shaded initially ans slowly move it into sun starting a week out or so, depending on the temperature.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was in transport a couple of weeks? I assume you aren't currently in New York, unless you smuggled the tree past customs!

I agree with Rambles. The shade recommendation is usually to limit transpiration and leaf dehydration if the tree's normal ability to take up water is hampered or it was stressed. It might not be necessary for an olive with a thick leaf cuticle, but in the short term I don't believe it will hurt anything.

Did you prune any roots or just slip pot it? What climate zone are you in, what is the day time high/low, humidity, and wind conditions. Those are all factors to consider.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would put full sun. Photosynthesis is required to make roots.

Olives have waxy leaves and won't desiccate like a Japanese maple would. Just keep your eye on the newest growth. Should it start to droop, move it to shade and/or keep it shaded in the afternoon. Otherwise, give it all the sun you can (just like a juniper or pine).

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm in NY. The seller wrapped the root ball in a kind of burlap, so I removed the burlap and potted it in well draining cactus soil. Gave it some water and have it outside on the south facing side of my house. I did all of this at dusk, so it hasn't gotten any sun yet. I realize that NY doesn't have optimal conditions for an Olive, but I've researched enough to give it the best chance I can (indoor grow light for the late fall and winter, etc.). I just don't want to give it too much, or not enough sun right now.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wild olives are very hardy trees. They grow in high altitudes with little soil and can tolerate low temperatures up to -10 Celsius. Try to put gradually in full sun as soon as possible to help it establish in the new bigger pot before the winter. And try to water it as little as possible with your current soil mix.

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put it in the shade today. I'll start putting it out in the sun for a couple of hours tomorrow and then more the following day. Would that work?

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 68

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it illegal to order the tree from Israel? I won the eBay bid and they sent it to me. I assume it went through Customs.

It was in transport a couple of weeks? I assume you aren't currently in New York, unless you smuggled the tree past customs!

I agree with Rambles. The shade recommendation is usually to limit transpiration and leaf dehydration if the tree's normal ability to take up water is hampered or it was stressed. It might not be necessary for an olive with a thick leaf cuticle, but in the short term I don't believe it will hurt anything.

Did you prune any roots or just slip pot it? What climate zone are you in, what is the day time high/low, humidity, and wind conditions. Those are all factors to consider.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If tyour plant has been in the dark for a number of weeks, it will be very photo sensitive.
Anectdote: I worked on my dissertation with a guy from Zimbabwe. The first time we left europe for fieldwork in southern Africa, I offered him sunscreen, and he started laughing. Man, I grew in this climate. I do not need sunscreen. That night, when taking a shower. He realized. Also people from Africa get sunburnt if they move to Europe for a while.

The same goes for trees. You have to get them used to the weather & sun intensity again.

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That was a very good way of describing it! I understand what you mean. So, I'll slowly, over the course of a few days/week, acclimate it to the sun.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

If tyour plant has been in the dark for a number of weeks, it will be very photo sensitive.
Anectdote: I worked on my dissertation with a guy from Zimbabwe. The first time we left europe for fieldwork in southern Africa, I offered him sunscreen, and he started laughing. Man, I grew in this climate. I do not need sunscreen. That night, when taking a shower. He realized. Also people from Africa get sunburnt if they move to Europe for a while.

The same goes for trees. You have to get them used to the weather & sun intensity again.

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, I put the Olive in the sun for an hour yesterday. It'll be in the sun for 2 hours today. I think I'll do 2 hours per day through the weekend and start 4 hours per day early next week. Work up to full sun in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 55

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Is it illegal to order the tree from Israel? I won the eBay bid and they sent it to me. I assume it went through Customs.
Moving any plant with soil across an international border requires paperwork. However, except for controlled substances, breaking the requirements is generally persued as a civil offense, confiscation of the offending plant and a fine of some sort. However, your eBay seller probably had the plant here in the US, and shipped it to you as a domestic shipment. Don't worry, if the customs or USDA we're not at your door when you opened the box, you got away with it. They won't be chasing you for an olive. Now if you had imported a wild collected Cycad, or slipper orchid, they might come to the door as much as 3 years later, I know, happened to a friend of mine.

Your plant most likely was already in California, or Florida, when you bid on it on eBay.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Moving any plant with soil across an international border requires paperwork. However, except for controlled substances, breaking the requirements is generally persued as a civil offense, confiscation of the offending plant and a fine of some sort. However, your eBay seller probably had the plant here in the US, and shipped it to you as a domestic shipment. Don't worry, if the customs or USDA we're not at your door when you opened the box, you got away with it. They won't be chasing you for an olive. Now if you had imported a wild collected Cycad, or slipper orchid, they might come to the door as much as 3 years later, I know, happened to a friend of mine.

Your plant most likely was already in California, or Florida, when you bid on it on eBay.
That just happened to me. USDA showed up at my door to seize my olive, which I got also from Israel. The guy was really nice to me and explained me the whole thing, which I was unaware of. He suggested contacting ebay for a refund, what I think it’ll be difficult to get, being the purchase since last july. Lesson learned the hard way. I really liked that olive..

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That just happened to me. USDA showed up at my door to seize my olive, which I got also from Israel. The guy was really nice to me and explained me the whole thing, which I was unaware of. He suggested contacting ebay for a refund, what I think it’ll be difficult to get, being the purchase since last july. Lesson learned the hard way. I really liked that olive..

Damn, USDA has more time on their hands than I thought. With all the personnel cut backs and various rules being cut, who knew they would have time for you. But I'm glad they explained it to you, and from the sounds of it they did not fine you, so other than the cost of the tree you are largely okay. Warning second or third ''offense'' they will start adding fines.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, USDA has more time on their hands than I thought. With all the personnel cut backs and various rules being cut, who knew they would have time for you. But I'm glad they explained it to you, and from the sounds of it they did not fine you, so other than the cost of the tree you are largely okay. Warning second or third ''offense'' they will start adding fines.
It never crossed through my mind something like this could happen. I’ll create a thread to warn our fellow not to bid or buy trees from abroad.

Top Bottom