Need some advice on selling trees.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So we're I live there's no one around that sells bonsai trees except Walmart. .. and that's just silly. ..

So I was thinking of finding so pots I could buy in bulk online. Get some trees/shrubs from some nurseries and trim them up and do a repot .

I wouldn't sell them as bonsai's ( I feel like that would be b.s.) but maby pre- bonsai.
What do you all think and do you have any hints or tips on this kinda thing?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I was thinking...that's is how most sentences go at my house that involves my husband doing something. Lol we joke about it actually.

Is there a high demand do you think in your location for such? Do you have a plan on wintering them as well? Have that set or need to develop a wintering area/location for more trees? For not all nursery trees are ready for pots and can't be root pruned that harshly. Will take time under your care to get them that way. Or are you thinking of selling online? Heads up...I seem to always pay higher fees when shipped through FedEx. Keeping shipping fees down is always nice for buyers.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol ya that's how I brought it up to my wife.

I was thinking of only starting out with 5 to 10 trees. Just selling them out of my front yard. I already put up a screen tent for other plants and walking sticks that I sell.
And I would only start out with easy to care and plants that can handle a root pruning.
I would only sell them for $10 more then I payed for them. It would be a way to get more practice and pay for itself at the same time. Plus if my wife sees me selling a few here and there it might not bug her as much that I'm spending time on it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, it seems a plausible direction. With having stuff already established and ones familar with your location...it would be almost foolish not to add this to the mix! Good luck...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a longer term goal of digging your own stuff....which seems endless down that driveway, getting bases in order, and roots well established, and selling them here, will likely get you more play money.
Albeit years out.

I know I would pay for a well established TRUELY hardy base.
F the top.

You collect bugs? Walking sticks? Lol.

I thought you were in the mad sticks?
You have that much foot traffic? Car traffic?

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with sorce...ones in the hobby would be less apt to buy nursery stock tossed into a bonsai pot over collected material or somewhat trained trees. I myself am that way. But it sounds as if your not wanting to ship.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be easy to make your only overhead your time....

Every established year will take you into the profit equal to one x your shipping.

Year one....$30 shipping $30 tree.
Year 2....$30 shipping, $60 tree. Etc...

Bigger tree, same but more.

Or, since it seems you may become the bonsai man in the bonsai van.....:eek:

Drive the Van out to a couple shows....
Ensure sale of material with a free mason jar of wine with every tree....
Call it styling juice!

Just ideas....not fully accurate....

But like bonsai....

I'd rather see you do it right, slow...
Before wrong, fast.

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So we're I live there's no one around that sells bonsai trees except Walmart. .. and that's just silly. ..

So I was thinking of finding so pots I could buy in bulk online. Get some trees/shrubs from some nurseries and trim them up and do a repot .

I wouldn't sell them as bonsai's ( I feel like that would be b.s.) but maby pre- bonsai.
What do you all think and do you have any hints or tips on this kinda thing?
Find a local wholesale nursery or tree farm. You will get better prices than ordering online and be able to actually pick the trees that are most suitable for what you want to do with them.

Sell them on Facebook. There is a market there it seems for all ranges of trees from $10 price range up to THOUSANDS of dollars. You get thousands of people viewing every tree you post instead of the what?- One or two people who might decide to stop at your roadside stand every day?

Good luck.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you every one. All sounds like.very good advice. It givws.me alot to think about...

@sorce it kinda creeps.me out that you know I give.my wine away in mason jars.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you every one. All sounds like.very good advice. It givws.me alot to think about...

@sorce it kinda creeps.me out that you know I give.my wine away in mason jars.

It's just I find them free in the list!

Sorce

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like a fun and maybe profitable addition to the bonsai hobby. I've thought of the same as I enjoy finding and collecting trees, but not so much their ramification and pot selection.
walking sticks that I sell.
Let's see some of those Yankee walkin' sticks
CW

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
To be successful with local sales you must provide great service that includes instructions. Folks will come back if they trust you to advise and instruct them with their first tree so it thrives. Good luck - OH and start a club.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be successful with local sales you must provide great service that includes instructions. Folks will come back if they trust you to advise and instruct them with their first tree so it thrives. Good luck - OH and start a club.
Ya I was definitely thinking about the instructions and come on back for help any time thing...
But the club part didn't even enter my mind. Thanks .

Sounds like a fun and maybe profitable addition to the bonsai hobby. I've thought of the same as I enjoy finding and collecting trees, but not so much their ramification and pot selection.
Let's see some of those Yankee walkin' sticks
CW
Man last time I was called a Yankee it was down in Virginia by a drunk kid that wanted to kick my as... for being from up north. Good times.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you try to do this "publicly", by putting a sign in the front yard, or something, you'll need a business license, and since you're selling live plants you'll likely need a permit from your State Agriculture Department.

Online via eBay or the Facebook Classifieds is below the radar. Buying a vendor spot at local shows is an option.

Your local florists might want to sell a few on consignment.

Good luck!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if that law is in maine...

Lot of people sell plants on roadsides here. Herbs vegetables. . All sorts of stuff.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know if that law is in maine...

Lot of people sell plants on roadsides here. Herbs vegetables. . All sorts of stuff.

Maine is a very different place @Adair M than what you're used to .

However. Nwaite, make sure you know before you get smacked by authorities.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I think you need a white van and a sign with the word Bonsai in red...then you could join the mystery guys that sell all across the southern states.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with the idea of gettin trees in the ground. If you are rural, and have land, load it up with larch, scots pine, and all kinds of hardy trees. Up here in the great white north I get larch that grow huge in the ground, no fert! Also like was mentioned, perfect hunting and collecting yamadori. I seem to remember in the day job thread, you said you were a farmer/at home dad, sounds like the perfect set up to start a side job like this! enjoy!

Top Bottom