Need advice on A. palm. 'Novum' - awkward nursery material - multiple trunk lines all bending in one direction

zeejet

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I received a JM (A. palmatum ‘Novum’. a vigorous-growing cultivar) from Evergreen Gardenworks last month and repotted it from a 4” pot to a gallon pot.

It’s still in the growing phase but I’m not sure what to do with this tree this season to set it up for success long term. It has a short trunk with 3 possible trunk lines, each coming from the same point, so I’m not sure if I keep all three. I don’t think it’s suitable for clump-style, but maybe I’m wrong?

In my unqualified beginner's intuition, I am thinking of air layering the right trunk for a second tree and keeping the other two together - I could either develop it as a double trunk or use one of the trunks as a sacrifice branch for trunk/taper development. Should I wire anything? What can I do about the awkward movement?

I’d appreciate a more experienced take on what the options are here and if I should wait another season before working on this stock material. It’s only about ½” in trunk caliper.

JM_1.jpgJM_2.jpgJM_3.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would take off the thickest of the three, keep the other two and grow them out. An air layer is possible.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What’s going on here? it looks like a fungal or viral condition. If this is the only trunk showing it, I’d remove it.
E95A09E3-A211-4DB8-8D0A-9C86B8F474BA.jpeg

zeejet

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would take off the thickest of the three, keep the other two and grow them out. An air layer is possible.
Would this be a good idea for this current season? I'm assuming late spring/early summer are good times for airlayer and eventual removal of the thickest trunk.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not sure - I thought this was a feature of the tree, but maybe it's canker? Hoping it's just stress from the repot, but I could be wrong.
That’s not stress from the repot, that would manifest in wilting leaves. Look into Pseudomonas or Verticillium wilt. I’d remove it like now.

Top Bottom