Need help with Mexican Frankincense

ckaye

Seedling
Reaction score
First time posting to your forum, so thanks for letting me join! I'm not sure if I should post this here or to a different discussion group? (never posted to a forum before :) ) Anyway I have a new Bursera fagaroides sapling just purchased. Am in SE AZ about 4500' elevation and it is a high plains desert, zone 8b. the plant is rather leggy in the truck. It is end of November and we are just getting to occasional 30 F nights, days 55-70 F. I'm told by a local Master Gardener, (in a general winter gardening class) for most plants, it's ok to plant here year round, but I don't know if she had/has any experience with this species. (I got this after that class and can't seem to get in touch with her.) I'm not sure if I should put it in the ground now or if there is anything else I should do to help the trunk to thicken? I worry because it is already losing a few leaves. My apologies if posting to the wrong place, but thank you in advance for any help/suggestions!

Attachments

• frankincense.jpg
    frankincense.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 37

GreatBasinBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've had one for about 15 years and I keep it in a greenhouse in winter, outside summer, in a very fast draining granular mix, I wouldn't let it freeze at all because my understanding is that it is native to central Mexico. It is drought deciduous so water very very sparingly in the winter and its leaves will fall off, which is healthy, and it will grow new leaves when temperatures and water go up in The spring. Good luck!

ckaye

Seedling
Reaction score
I've had one for about 15 years and I keep it in a greenhouse in winter, outside summer, in a very fast draining granular mix, I wouldn't let it freeze at all because my understanding is that it is native to central Mexico. It is drought deciduous so water very very sparingly in the winter and its leaves will fall off, which is healthy, and it will grow new leaves when temperatures and water go up in The spring. Good luck!
Thanks so much!! Appreciate the help and love your photo!

GreatBasinBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have mostly done clip and grow with minimal wiring, for the simple reason that it can unexpectedly bulk up very quickly, since it is a Succulent, and I'm not always on top of removing the wire. I would err on the side of caution with the temperature, I don't honestly know what they can take, but if you're Outside temperatures ever fall more than a couple degrees below freezing I would not plant it outside in the ground, I would just start it off in an oversized pot

GreatBasinBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When did you start wiring? (if at all) and how long did it take for your trunk to thicken? As you can see mine is rather spindly - wondering if I should put it in the ground to do so? Again, thanks much!
And as far as the trunk thickening, it's not crazy fast, but you should notice some significant thickening after three or four years I would guess, whether it's planted outside or in a pot either way I would guess it would start thickening about then. I've never planted mine outside and It's about 2 1/2 inch diameter after 13 or so years... i've noticed a lot of genetic variation within the same species, when it comes to these succulent trees, some thicken very very rapidly and others not so much, so it's hard to say

ckaye

Seedling
Reaction score
And as far as the trunk thickening, it's not crazy fast, but you should notice some significant thickening after three or four years I would guess, whether it's planted outside or in a pot either way I would guess it would start thickening about then. I've never planted mine outside and It's about 2 1/2 inch diameter after 13 or so years... i've noticed a lot of genetic variation within the same species, when it comes to these succulent trees, some thicken very very rapidly and others not so much, so it's hard to say
Thanks!! I have it in a pot, and the pot is wrapped in burlap and set inside another large tub with some other burlap wrapped potted plants. Am in high plains desert, and while we do get below freezing a bit during the nights, it's rare during the day. Good to know about the time it takes for the trunk to thicken... I have started this bonsai journey to try to conquer my chronic "tonightis", so this is good for me to know! thanks for the help and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ckaye

Seedling
Reaction score
sadly, may it rest in peace, it has moved on... I followed all the suggestions i could, but it was dead as of a few weeks ago... i was hopeful all winter, brought it in in very cold nights, had the base wrapped/insulated well, did not over water, etc.... sigh....

Top Bottom