Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The leaves just won’t green up.
IMG_1801.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have no experience with these trees, but every post I see shoes them growing in marshy areas, oftentimes trunks below water. I imagine e that nutrient profile is quite specific and should be matched as closely as possible.

I found this little snippet from a horticulture site. Best of luck!

"Bald-cypress likes an acidic soil and will develop yellowing of the leaves if grown in neutral or calcareous soils."

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have no experience with these trees, but every post I see shoes them growing in marshy areas, oftentimes trunks below water. I imagine e that nutrient profile is quite specific and should be matched as closely as possible.

I found this little snippet from a horticulture site. Best of luck!

"Bald-cypress likes an acidic soil and will develop yellowing of the leaves if grown in neutral or calcareous soils."
I have mixed sphagnum peat moss into the soil as recommended by Randy Bennett, also got a bit of iron sulfate and ironite in to lower the soil pH. A little patience is needed for the treatment to show results but I just want to make sure I got all bases covered. In some way I feel like I need to change the soil entirely but I hate to repot any tree when they are weak like this.

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I am not sure...is this the same soil mix you use with your other trees?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am not sure...is this the same soil mix you use with your other trees?
It is and all the other ones are doing just fine. I have several dozens of BCs in different growth status and they all are doing well save this forest.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I've read that they prefer more acidic conditions often, but I also know that they grow freely in the rivers in central Texas that are full of limestone????

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've read that they prefer more acidic conditions often, but I also know that they grow freely in the rivers in central Texas that are full of limestone????
I have found BCs to have very wide ranges of pH and water tolerance. That's why I am scratching my head on this one. Perhaps I am treating it for pH while it is specifically deficient of something else. Magnesium?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
just a thought...have you checked for root aphids... Looks like mycorrhiza like you might see in the roots of a pine but it is full of little white bugs when you look closely.. That said I've never seen root aphids have such a strong effect on foliage color...often its just off green or slightly grey

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
just a thought...have you checked for root aphids... Looks like mycorrhiza like you might see in the roots of a pine but it is full of little white bugs when you look closely.. That said I've never seen root aphids have such a strong effect on foliage color...often its just off green or slightly grey
I will check. If it is root aphids I can fix that.
I am thinking about popping it out of this pot to check the roots and soil then put it into a bigger grow box with the soil mix I have been using on my BCs. If the roots and soil looks OK I will not disturb it much.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Uncle, that could be a variegated variety. LOL. Looks like my water jasmine leave... but I know what is wrong with mine.... they are hungry for food and need a repot.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Went home for lunch. Built a box and repotted the forest. Look at the picture below and tell me if we have root aphids. I have never had that with any BC before. Roots were treated with bifenthrin and forest repotted. Now the forest has an extra 1/2 cubic foot of soil.
IMG_1835.jpegIMG_1836.jpegIMG_1838.jpeg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Went home for lunch. Built a box and repotted the forest. Look at the picture below and tell me if we have root aphids. I have never had that with any BC before. Roots were treated with bifenthrin and forest repotted. Now the forest has an extra 1/2 cubic foot of soil.
View attachment 540398View attachment 540399View attachment 540400
.... and I thought someone mentioned in another thread that bonsaist are patience.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Absolutely root aphids! Not a terrible infestation though...I've had much worse... I'm doubtful that this is the lone cause of the off color foliage???

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely root aphids! Not a terrible infestation though...I've had much worse... I'm doubtful that this is the lone cause of the off color foliage???
Nice call on the diagnosis!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Shallow pot, full sun...root heat.
My thinking is that it is a combination of both of the above. Last year during my travel, the forest got a bit too much watering each day that leached out all the nutrients and chlorosis started. In its weakened state, the root aphids jumped in and push the forest to the brink. I hope that a wood box gives it a bit more room and insulation to recover. Plus I think that forest is too large for the pot I had it in. I will apply Osmocote Plus and wait for it to recover.

Top Bottom