Need advice on next cuts please (hibiscus tree)

Blksmth88

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I tend to get long winded in my posts so I apologize in advance for that. I feel like the more upfront info I can provide, the better lol. So bear with me lol.

Ok so I collected this tree a few months ago. It's from the property we live on. We have this old house that had one family since it was built. One of these previous people was a plant nut and had all sorts of plants and trees planted in the landscaping in the early 90s. Fast-forward to now and the landscaping was lost to nature and poor upkeep. The hibiscus however, flourished and every season they produce seeds like they are the last one on earth. So now they are everywhere. We have purple mostly and a few white ones. But they are all over.

Reading that it's wise to practice on the natural trees in your area, I started collecting them to make bonsai. I have about 100 potted up so far in various sizes and still have many more all over the place. So a few months ago while I was walking the place looking for trees a little further along I found one with a very nice nebari and good thick trunk. So I wasted no time getting it out of the ground and Into a box. I cut the top way back and then trimmed as little as possible from the roots to reduce so much demand as it heals. Hints the huge box it's in. So I left the tree to heal and get used to its new life for a while. And it didn't take no time to pick up where it left off. It's pushing out fresh leaves and I think it's gonna be just fine. All signs point to healthy.

So at this point I don't want to cut on it anymore until next spring but I wanted to get an idea of what I want to remove. It has a thick single trunk that splits into 3. Ideally I'd like it to have 1 single trunk and go from there but if 2 can look good I'd be just as happy. So I wanted to see what you guys think I should remove when the time comes. As tall as this tree is I even considered that I may have to remove all 3 to a tall stump but I'm open to ideas. I don't think it will take too terribly long to have a respectable looking tree out of this one.

Thanks for any input or suggestions!

And one more thing before I forget. I used an app to identify this tree as a hibiscus. I went by the leaves and then separately by the flowers but oddly any where I've seen hibiscus for sale they look way different. The ones I've seen were more like non woody hanging basket flowers than trees. So if anyone has any insight to why this is or if I've misidentified this tree I'm all ears here as well.

Thanks again for any help.

Blksmth88

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My pics are not loading. I have terrible signal and and worse wi-fi here at work so the pics are just attached files. They don't seem to be making it out of here. I apologize for the lack of visuals. As soon as I can get some up, I will.

Last edited:

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
yeah, there are 2 types. Tropical and hardy. I think tropical are the better type for bonsai. I have some hardy ones in my yard and they are basically long-leggy perennial wildflowers.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That would be the hardy type.. hibiscus syriacus (rose of sharon).

Wounds take a while to heal. I would try to limit cuts if possible to smaller branches or develop a larger tree using current main branching.

Blksmth88

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you for the name. And they are def hardy lol. We have had some crazy winter weather here. I live in western NC about 30 mins from Mount Mitchell. So winters can get interesting in the mountains.

As for the cutting, I'll keep that in mind for sure. I guess I hate that it's layed out like a Trident. Not the maple but an actual Trident. It's very flat. But I will also note that before I scalped it it was well spread and branches out. I hate I didn't get an in ground shot. But of several dozens around my house it had the most interesting trunk base/ nebari section. And I know it's not perfectly radial but I think it did pretty good on its own, all things considered. It's already started back budding so hopefully I'll see some action out of the flatter sections next season.

Top Bottom