My Procumbens Nana

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I went and purchased a procumbens nana from the local flea market. It's under five years old according to the gentleman who I purchased it from. It is not very big at all.

I am unsure as to what style would work best with the way it has grown so far. I am open to just about anything other than cascade. I was really hoping for an upright or semi-upright, but not sure that is possible.

Here are some pictures:

411591094.jpg

411591093.jpg

411591092.jpg

411591091.jpg

411591090.jpg

What styles would would work well?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're right, its tiny. It needs to grow alot. You could put some wire on the trunk and make it any shape you want.

Here is my first bonsai tree, it looked very similar to yours.

April 2012
2011J001_1b_small.jpg

September 2013
2011J001_2013a_small.jpg

August 2014
2011JPN001_2014a1_small.jpg

I still have it but I dont have a current picture

Last edited:

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right, its tiny. It needs to grow alot. You could put some wire on the trunk and make it any shape you want.

Would it be best to leave it in a bonsai pot, or something larger?

I wish there was a bonsai club near me, as I would love to have hands on help, but the closest one is roughly sixty-five miles from my home. Since I do not have a vehicle, I cannot get to it. Maybe in a years time when I get my own vehicle, but not before.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would it be best to leave it in a bonsai pot, or something larger?

Leave it in that pot for now. If you want it to really grow, put it in something bigger next spring.
If you want a cascade like mine, you need a deeper pot like the one mine is in. Note: my pot is HUGE for my little tree but I wanted it to grow.
If you want more of an upright tree, then Id put it in a shallow pot like the one you have just bigger.

Desert Rat

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you like the overall size, leave it where it is. There is nothing wrong with smaller sizes of bonsai. Not every tree is approximately 14-16" tall. It looks like it might be planted in sphagnum moss or something similar? You may want to repot it in the spring, and get it in bonsai-type soil. Since you're in central Florida, you may still have time to repot now? I looked up Orlando's monthly average temperatures, and it looks like it gets coldest in January (surprise, right?) but doesn't get much below 50 degrees. Looking at the chart, you probably could repot in the middle-to-end of September, and still have 2-3 months of a "growing season" left to allow the tree to reestablish before your "winter" sets in.

You have to remember that many member's growing seasons all together are much shorter than what you still have left now.

Once March rolls around in 2016, you could begin to wire the tree to add movement and interest to the branches. Some slight pruning wouldn't be out of line either, it will eventually cause greater density and form in your tree.

Top Bottom