My New Momo No Haru Satsuki

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just received this today from @William N. Valavanis . Here's my question. Do I put it out in the detached garage with my Chinzan to keep it cool, or bring it inside and put it under the lights. We've had pretty fair weather here the last week but I'm sure we'll see some more of winter. Last year we had a hard frost in the middle of April. Any advice would be appreciated. MOMO NO HARU.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just received this today from @William N. Valavanis . Here's my question. Do I put it out in the detached garage with my Chinzan to keep it cool, or bring it inside and put it under the lights. We've had pretty fair weather here the last week but I'm sure we'll see some more of winter. Last year we had a hard frost in the middle of April. Any advice would be appreciated. View attachment 359670
For what it's worth I have all mine outside, but I'm in zone 7b.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
For what it's worth I have all mine outside, but I'm in zone 7b.
It would most likely be fine right now, it's been unseasonably warm. However, that's at this minute. I'm sure we have some winter left.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Here was in the low 60's today on Monday were scheduled for snow 😕.
Exactly the kind of weather changes we have here. I think the garage would be fine, I'm hoping we're done with the extreme cold we had a couple of weeks ago.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You'll like the Mono, I have several, They tend to have a spreading habit, instead of try to grow straight up, and lend themselves well to cascade style. pretty pinkish-kinda purple flowers, more pinkish. Mine bloom heavy in the spring and sporadically throughout the year, sometimes even in the winter. I don't know if WV had it in a greenhouse or not, if he did, I would protect it from the cold. Mine have been on the bench all winter and have seen temps down to 30. Frost is OK, if it freezes though, usually the only thing that gets zapped will be the young tender growth.

You could just put it outside when it is nice, and bring it in when you expect a cold spell. I had a book that translated the Japanese names to English and if I remember correctly, Momo no Haru means "Spring of Peaches"

Here is mine:

They are also pretty fast growers...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You'll like the Mono, I have several, They tend to have a spreading habit, instead of try to grow straight up, and lend themselves well to cascade style. pretty pinkish-kinda purple flowers, more pinkish. Mine bloom heavy in the spring and sporadically throughout the year, sometimes even in the winter. I don't know if WV had it in a greenhouse or not, if he did, I would protect it from the cold. Mine have been on the bench all winter and have seen temps down to 30. Frost is OK, if it freezes though, usually the only thing that gets zapped will be the young tender growth.

You could just put it outside when it is nice, and bring it in when you expect a cold spell. I had a book that translated the Japanese names to English and if I remember correctly, Momo no Haru means "Spring of Peaches"

Here is mine:

They are also pretty fast growers...
Thank you, just needed a little confirmation. It was in the 50's today, so it enjoyed a nice shower outside. If I see that temps are going to spiral down, I'll just pop it into the garage to be safe. I have seen your thread, it's one of the reasons I got one. Now, if you could just send me a smidgen of your pixie dust..........;)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Carol 83 Hi, sorry I was missing in action. I would have put your azalea in the garage with the Chinzan, and pop it outside when pleasant. You have less than a month before it likely can go out and stay out. Valavanis probably had it in a cold greenhouse, or a cool garage for the winter.

Do you see new growth? If not, it was fully dormant when you got it. Garage or even the refrigerator are fine for fully dormant azalea. If it is already growing, then the light garden is appropriate.

By the way, your Camellia inspired me to put an order in with Camellia Forest. Once I get them I will share. Hint: Camellia sinensis, the source of tea leaves, some cultivars are thought to be hardy to zone 6b.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83 Hi, sorry I was missing in action. I would have put your azalea in the garage with the Chinzan, and pop it outside when pleasant. You have less than a month before it likely can go out and stay out. Valavanis probably had it in a cold greenhouse, or a cool garage for the winter.

Do you see new growth? If not, it was fully dormant when you got it. Garage or even the refrigerator are fine for fully dormant azalea. If it is already growing, then the light garden is appropriate.

By the way, your Camellia inspired me to put an order in with Camellia Forest. Once I get them I will share. Hint: Camellia sinensis, the source of tea leaves, some cultivars are thought to be hardy to zone 6b.
Thanks Leo. It's been very temperate here, so it's been outside during the day and definitely is not dormant. I'll have to check out the Camellia. I have a "Buttons and Bows" coming from Nuccios. It's one they suggested when I told them where I lived and is suitable for pots.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
mine are out in 17* right now!! two of them. i wish i brought them in last night but they will be okay i think. amazing. weve had spring tease and then yesterday i was doing garden prep in sun and it began snowing with 17* overnight lmao, welcome to new england for us

for first time ever i actuall did tree work yesterday and have all of that in garage instead of outside. looks like im 2 stepping and theyre not getting light until
tomorrow for a few days and 34* nights lol

good luck w your azalea

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it came from Valvanis it wasn't outdoors in NY and growing that head. (Cool) Greenhouse to greenhouse.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry this thread somehow got past me
Yea I would definitely keep it protected. The garage should be fine.
I am in Southern NY and I could have had mine outside during the last few days but it went to 25 last night and wont get out of the low 30s today with some very high winds which can be very drying this time of year.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Maybe your azalea curse has been lifted! Beautiful color.
Hopefully. The couple I failed with were two little ones from Brussel's. The plants were healthy enough, but I think their soil was the reason for their eventual demise. I should have repotted after they bloomed. The Chinzan I got from The Flower Market in Michigan last fall made it through the winter and should be blooming in a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom