My BRT seeds came up, what next?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks to my friend in Brazil @Clicio, I have a few BRT seedlings that popped up last summer. They spent winter happy under grow lights and actually grew up into them. They are healthy but over a foot tall and only have leaves mostly on the top. I would take pictures but it's currently storming. Should I just let them grow tall or maybe cut them back a little? I hesitate to experiment too much since the seeds had a 2 year journey around the world, they are precious to me. What do you suggest @Clicio @leatherback anyone?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks to my friend in Brazil @Clicio, I have a few BRT seedlings that popped up last summer. They spent winter happy under grow lights and actually grew up into them. They are healthy but over a foot tall and only have leaves mostly on the top. I would take pictures but it's currently storming. Should I just let them grow tall or maybe cut them back a little? I hesitate to experiment too much since the seeds had a 2 year journey around the world, they are precious to me. What do you suggest @Clicio @leatherback anyone?

My first inclination is to say let them grow since they are only a year old and probably pretty thin yet. Perhaps gently put some wire loosely around them and put some movement into the trunk.

BUT, really need to see some pictures to give better info

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, sounds like you have succes there.
You have more than one, so you can do different things? This species seems to work well with clip and grow.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

I start wiring when they are about 1 or 2 years old, to start the movements on the trunk. As @leatherback has said, wire loosely.
I guess a little clipping on the tops and tips will do no harm and promote backbudding. Always leave a stump, they die back to the closest node.
Congrats and good luck!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My first inclination is to say let them grow since they are only a year old and probably pretty thin yet. Perhaps gently put some wire loosely around them and put some movement into the trunk.

BUT, really need to see some pictures to give better info
I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Carol, I really torture the young babies.
Take a look, those are 1 year old seedlings already contorted like hallucinated snakes.

ATTENTION: The scars will disappear in one or two growing seasons, they aren't a concern.

20230516_085804.jpg

20230516_085906.jpg

20230516_085851.jpg

20230516_085940.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Carol, I really torture the young babies.
Take a look, those are 1 year old seedlings already contorted like hallucinated snakes.

ATTENTION: The scars will disappear in one or two growing seasons, they aren't a concern.

View attachment 488652

View attachment 488653

View attachment 488654

View attachment 488655
Mine are almost a year old but really skinny compared to yours. I might try and do a little wiring. I'm just so happy to have them, I don't want to risk killing them.

Top Bottom