mugo pine propagation from cuttings.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This intrigues me because several times I have simply jammed an untreated cutting into a pot of another plant while I was pruning a,d the plant rooted. A fw years ago I was trimming an elm and I prepared a few treated cutting in a sterile mix under lights, and they did not take. But the couple I jammed into other pots of other trees did root.

@M. Frary did the cutting jam claiming great success.
Reckon it has something to do with a pot that is already "myced up", AKA they can hear each other saying, "this is a good place to grow".

Sorce

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Iseli Nursery sells mugos from cuttings, TruDwarf is their trade name. I wonder if they would share their methods? From the varieties that are available it is apparent that not all mugo pine cultivars can be successfully rooted from cuttings.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Iseli is in the region where I live in Oregon. I am confident that if anyone could root cuttings, it's an operation like Iseli, but I don't think they're spending time doing that. There are folks in this part of the Willamette Valley whose full time job is grafting. All of the Iseli mugo pine nursery stock I've ever seen or worked with is grafted onto the trunks of other pine species, and this includes some of their dwarf offerings.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Iseli is in the region where I live in Oregon. I am confident that if anyone could root cuttings, it's an operation like Iseli, but I don't think they're spending time doing that. There are folks in this part of the Willamette Valley whose full time job is grafting. All of the Iseli mugo pine nursery stock I've ever seen or worked with is grafted onto the trunks of other pine species, and this includes some of their dwarf offerings.
All the mugos labeled "TruDwarf" are rooted cuttings, not grafted.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to believe, and learn their methods, but what is your source?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The nurserys wont share their secrets to propagate them, they dont want you to propagate they want you to buy them xD

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I want to believe, and learn their methods, but what is your source?
Iseli's propaganda claims that TruDwarf varieties are from cuttings.
A sales representative confirmed this.
I have several "Mops" mugos from Iseli that have no grafts.
I have seen "Slowmound" mugo from Iseli with no graft.

I would be surprise if they ever share their secrets.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My guess from my own propagation failures/successes and a reading of Dirr's manual is that Iseli's setup would involve:
  • A greenhouse with well-diffused light and very good management of temperatures (w/ temps kept low)
  • Automated misting, but to keep the environment humid, not necessarily to mist the cuttings directly
  • Carefully-selected media that doesn't skimp on either water or air availability -- perlite or something similar
  • Bottom heat for the trays
  • Very clean practices and sharp tools when making the cuttings,
  • Trial-and-error-perfected dosage of hormone
  • Fancy additives as seen in @cmeg1 threads?
Speaking of which, I bet @cmeg1 could root a mugo cutting in his sleep, he's got a lab-style setup and a take-notes mentality.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
could root a mugo cutting in his sleep, he's got a lab-style setup and a take-notes mentality.
Thats funny.
I will perhaps venture into it when I get the outdoor setup going….just know room at the moment.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can verify that it is doable. I bought 10 or so P. mugo 'Pumila" rooted cuttings a couple years ago. Perfect radial one-level roots. These things grow SLOW by the way. I didn't ask about the methodology of rooting them, but I've seen a research paper pdf that outlines the process. I haven't had enough material to try my own.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Extensions, corner store extensions but they extensions.
20220427_072506_HDR.jpg

Little late to take more since everything is already extending, I may do it to fail on purpose without projecting failure or having an intention to do so.

Note.....

If this proves true, that they won't have the energy to root after they've decided to grow, it will give credit to the idea that repotting single flush pines in spring is detrimental, even if you "don't notice".

Sorce

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Doing some pruning so stuck some trimmings, 72 mixed pumilio and "Valley Cushion". Used some Rootone powder on each stem. Keeping them wet and in the shade. We'll see what happens.
cuttings.JPG

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know the first thing you think would be impossible right. I'm not talking about a germinated seed cutting. I didn't think it was possible but I typed in mugo propagation in google and all that kept showing was a PDF.
Written in 1968 which is the only proof of mugo propagation. I was planning on working on 3 of my mugos today so I will be trying this propagation method.

http://horticulture.oregonstate.edu/content/propagation-mugo-pine-successful

I am just sharing this method because I haven't even heard of pine propagation by softwood/hardwood cuttings before. So I thought I would share it first on bnut, thanks for reading guys.
Iseli Nursery in Portland Oregon is doing mugo cuttings.....

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
72 more prunings, "Slowmound"
These are primarily extended candles with about 1/3 of them including some of last years hard wood. Keeping them moist and in the shade.

cuttings_2.JPG

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If this proves true, that they won't have the energy to root after they've decided to grow, it will give credit to the idea that repotting single flush pines in spring is detrimental, even if you "don't notice".
Maybe that's the very reason why harry harrington repots Mugos in the summer?

Top Bottom