Matches/Toothpick Method to Create Surface Roots?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So this is probably an older method I just hadn't heard of based on the age of the book, but in Bonsai: It's Art, Science, History, and Philosophy by Deborah Koreshoff she talks about a few methods to creating new surface roots. Essentially, one method it talks about is drilling holes to the hardwood in spots where you are wanting to grow new roots and then placing either a match or toothpick in that spot. Eventually the tree will try and callous over and will send out new roots along the toothpick/match.

I'm curious if any of y'all have tried this and the success with it? This was one I hadn't heard of before.

Attachments

• PXL_20211026_201711590~2.jpg
    PXL_20211026_201711590~2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 90

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Interesting method. Another Audi a ground layering by carving down to cambium layer , using root hormone and sphagnum moss , then burying it to develop the nebari. There are many more methods too, maybe more reliable? Idk see what others say

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So this is probably an older method I just hadn't heard of based on the age of the book, but in Bonsai: It's Art, Science, History, and Philosophy by Deborah Koreshoff she talks about a few methods to creating new surface roots. Essentially, one method it talks about is drilling holes to the hardwood in spots where you are wanting to grow new roots and then placing either a match or toothpick in that spot. Eventually the tree will try and callous over and will send out new roots along the toothpick/match.

I'm curious if any of y'all have tried this and the success with it? This was one I hadn't heard of before.
I've heard of this and am thinking of trying it on one of my trees that looks just like the illustration.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think your chances are better with opening the cambium like a layer to whatever area you want roots, and using hormones. I dont see how the matchstick giving more callus area is going to get more roots.

I feel a root graft would probably work better too.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah I honestly feel like root grafting would produce better results in faster time. Obviously though, that isn't always an easily viable option for some harder to find species.

I haven't done any root grafts (as I'm new still and don't have a tree worthy of that work yet), but I have mess around with carving to the cambium and adding rooting hormone. It's worked decently well for the most part, but obviously isn't always a sure thing.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What they said ^^^ I have tried the toothpick method several times on different species, and never had any luck. Root grafting is a good skill to learn and it has a high success rate.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

FWIW, I never found Koreshoff's book very helpful. This method is at best naive, at worst misleading. Callus tissue isn't root tissue. Essentially what's she's doing is ground layering--not using callus tissue. The wound caused by the drilling is the key NOT the silly matchstick and callus. Wounding the base, then covering that wound with soil will stimulate root tissue and encourage new roots--which is groundlayering.

As said root grafting is the tried and true effective way to get roots exactly where you want.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would be surprise if anyone has done this successfully. As Rockm stated... that ain't no root. That is just so misleading and unproven method. Do what Judy stated... root graft.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not to be contrary as I have not tried this method, but with all the people saying it doesn't work, someone will likely try for the sheer defiance of it. ;)

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
From what I have gathered, I think the purpose of the matchstick is to guide the roots along the stick rather than growing willy-nilly. But hey, I'm super new and have never done any grafting or layering whatsoever.

I do plan to try some method of gaining roots in 2022 or 2023 on one side my Italian Stone Pine.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not to be contrary as I have not tried this method, but with all the people saying it doesn't work, someone will likely try for the sheer defiance of it. ;)
I did just happen to dig a couple wild plums that will need layered at some point, and they could use some help with roots since they lost allot in the transplant.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Careful!

Spring or fall collection?

🤓
Fall, just this past weekend.
I wasn't going to do anything drastic until I'm confident they've recovered, so don't panic. It just turned out that the trunks went about 6 inches down into the ground before any real root development started. Not uncommon in our climate. So, there's layering of some sort for on the horizon for them. Might as well experiment a little.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fall, just this past weekend.
I wasn't going to do anything drastic until I'm confident they've recovered, so don't panic. It just turned out that the trunks went about 6 inches down into the ground before any real root development started. Not uncommon in our climate. So, there's layering of some sort for on the horizon for them. Might as well experiment a little.
Collecting with “smaller amount of fine roots than I was trying to” has very often proved fatal to my FALL collections. Just lookin’ out.

I recommend winter protection.... “MORE-than-you-were-planning”... Y’know? To counter the “less-rootmass-than-you-tried-to-collect”

🤓

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Are people saying it wont work, or that there is a much more quick, efficient method? I bet it “will” work.

That book came out in the what, late 70s? So its been around a while. If it was consistently repeatable (and a superior method?) people would be making youtube videos on it.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are people saying it wont work, or that there is a much more quick, efficient method? I bet it “will” work.

That book came out in the what, late 70s? So its been around a while. If it was consistently repeatable (and a superior method?) people would be making youtube videos on it.
I want to agree with your theory, but just to be contrary, I'll point out that people make youtube videos about all kinds of techniques that aren't really reality.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I want to agree with your theory, but just to be contrary, I'll point out that people make youtube videos about all kinds of techniques that aren't really reality.
Excellent point. But quality Bonsai videos vastly outnumber misinformational/ outright incorrect vids, although they still exist. It wasnt a theory per se either, just some embellishment to illustrate an opinion.

Plus horticulture is so vast that there are tons of things that “ will” work, but some known techniques have been proven to be more efficient or produce higher quality outcomes

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Collecting with “smaller amount of fine roots than I was trying to” has very often proved fatal to my FALL collections. Just lookin’ out.

I recommend winter protection.... “MORE-than-you-were-planning”... Y’know? To counter the “less-rootmass-than-you-tried-to-collect”

🤓
Ah, so do anything at all then. 😉

I think I know the spot, between the shed and the fence. Barely any sun, but good wind protection. That or chance whatever is living in the cellar.

Thanks for the pointer.

Top Bottom