Best method & service for shipping bonsai?

@BrightsideB wraps his pits in bubble Wray then packs in paper. So far all the pots we’ve shipped back and forth have made it intact. When I ship trees I attach the tree tightly to a few pieces of cardboard that fit tightly in the box. As long as it’s secured to them and there’s no wiggle room they ship just fine.
I had someone return a six inch round pot to me without anything. They just put it in a flat rate box from usps. The box was beat up but the pot was fine lol.

Hello, I’m looking for some advice on the most economical but satisfactory way to ship Bonsai and live plants in general.

I’m not looking to set up shop or anything, but every now, and again, it’s nice to sell or trade, or gift.

Last time I sent something with USPS, it was $35 for a smallish cedar grow box.
Standard service

I’ve sent some live small trees. -bare rooted once before it was about $25. For a longer tubular shaped box.

Any help or recommendations?
  1. I use UPS that is well discounted through Pirate Ship. From where I am, it's 3 days to the East Coast and 5 days to the West Coast. Most trees can handle that easily in the spring and fall.
  2. I buy boxes that fit the size of trees I ship. Making up my own box takes too much time. I will only make my own box when necessary.
  3. I print my label to regular paper on my printer. The UPS Stores have the stick-on label holder free. I usually grab some every time I go to UPS store.
  4. If you have to make your own boxes, double sided tape is a must.
  5. Brace your tree for the box being upside down. For my BC that I know the top will get chopped I simply screw a piece of plywood right on to the trunk. I then put a couple lines of double-sided tape and set the box height so that the top of the box will stick on the tape.
  6. If you have branches that you want to protect, wire them.
  7. If you are shipping a precious tree, build a strong box and wire the tree in place inside the box.
  8. No need to use peanuts or cushion unless you are shipping bonsai pot. If you are shipping a bonsai pot, cushion is critical. If you are uncomfortable dropping your box from 3 ft height, give it more cushion.

I appreciate all your awesome feedback gang!
I’m going to look into the pirate ship mateys. 🙏

Great info. Like I said I’m not planning on shipping much anytime soon. It’s just to tough to ship freebies when it ends up setting me back 25-40$ 🙂

@BrightsideB wraps his pits in bubble Wray then packs in paper. So far all the pots we’ve shipped back and forth have made it intact. When I ship trees I attach the tree tightly to a few pieces of cardboard that fit tightly in the box. As long as it’s secured to them and there’s no wiggle room they ship j
Hey Mateo. What do you mean by the above pls

Back
Top Bottom