Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I just tied to join the ranks of BonsaiNut Youtubers. Filmed, edited, and published my first attempt. I would be glad if you find time to watch it and hopefully, someone will find parts of it useful.
My new video is dedicated to the aftercare of yamadori trees for bonsai, by using the Black bag technique.

Im in unknown waters, to be honest, curious to find out if it gains traction. Any feedback is welcomed.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good stuff Maros, be looking forward to seeing some of your trees on video mate. Its been great seeing the photos over the years. That big Elm on the left is even more impressive in real time.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since you asked for feedback:
  • The video was a good length. It didn't drag on for two hours like Ryan Neil's stuff. (Who has that much free time?)
  • The information you provided was clear.
  • It would have been nice to see more video footage of you doing the technique, as well as pictures of the plants' progress as they recovered from collection.
  • Cut out some of the introduction at the beginning of the video. It tends to scare viewers away. Get to the meat of the video as quickly as possible. You can always tack that stuff on at the end, for those who want to know more.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Good stuff Maros, be looking forward to seeing some of your trees on video mate. Its been great seeing the photos over the years. That big Elm on the left is even more impressive in real time.
Thanks, Bobby for your feedback. I will definitely think about it how to incorporate any of my more mature trees into the content. Interestingly, big elm looks good in person and now in video it seems, but I struggled to take a picture in the way to justify its appearance, probably due to the type of lenses and distance from the subject.
Since you asked for feedback:
  • The video was a good length. It didn't drag on for two hours like Ryan Neil's stuff. (Who has that much free time?)
  • The information you provided was clear.
  • It would have been nice to see more video footage of you doing the technique, as well as pictures of the plants' progress as they recovered from collection.
  • Cut out some of the introduction at the beginning of the video. It tends to scare viewers away. Get to the meat of the video as quickly as possible. You can always tack that stuff on at the end, for those who want to know more.
Thanks for your invaluable feedback as well. Regarding parts of doing the stuff, I completely agree, but it is sometimes complicated. After collecting and potting, it messy dirty process, all in a hurry, and very hard to manipulate with the phone or camera, honestly. But I get your point and will try to think about it when taking the footage. I try to improve the next projects.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the way you made an entire presentation with a start, a center piece and a finish message. This is a good structure that is easy to be lost when making videos.
Personally, I like comparisons of techniques; if you say one is good, show me the bad one too. But that's my personal preference.
More close-ups would be nice! We know you have awesome trees Maros! I like for instance how Bjorn Bjorholm keeps his audio rolling, but mixes his video with slow moving clips of other trees. That way we don't have to look at him just sitting there and telling a story - I don't care personally, but the audience might be happy with it. It's a lot of work to do a montage like that but an old friend of mine took a rope, a skateboard and a wooden plank; he mounted his camera on a skateboard and gently rolled the skateboard down the plank (by using the rope) next to some trees, sidewalks, cars, you name it.. Now he has this huge library of short "stock" videos that he can put in his other videos.

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Konečne môžem napísať po slovensky 😂. Super video Maroš. Ja som tento rok prvý krát použil black bag techniku a perfektný úspech. Hloh skoro bez koreňov krásne raší 👌👌

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good so far. @Gabler and @Wires_Guy_wires already pointed out the best production value tips for now.
We can tell you are not comfortable in front of the camera yet. That will come in time, don't worry about it. You can work on it by rehearsing some before filming, or at least writing some notes that you can look over off camera.

Great work! Keep it up!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the way you made an entire presentation with a start, a center piece and a finish message. This is a good structure that is easy to be lost when making videos.
Personally, I like comparisons of techniques; if you say one is good, show me the bad one too. But that's my personal preference.
More close-ups would be nice! We know you have awesome trees Maros! I like for instance how Bjorn Bjorholm keeps his audio rolling, but mixes his video with slow moving clips of other trees. That way we don't have to look at him just sitting there and telling a story - I don't care personally, but the audience might be happy with it. It's a lot of work to do a montage like that but an old friend of mine took a rope, a skateboard and a wooden plank; he mounted his camera on a skateboard and gently rolled the skateboard down the plank (by using the rope) next to some trees, sidewalks, cars, you name it.. Now he has this huge library of short "stock" videos that he can put in his other videos.
Thank you very much for the feedback and kind words. I will try to add different footage from different angles in the next projects.
Konečne môžem napísať po slovensky 😂. Super video Maroš. Ja som tento rok prvý krát použil black bag techniku a perfektný úspech. Hloh skoro bez koreňov krásne raší 👌👌
Ďakujem Minkes, technika určite pomáha, na hlohy sa chystám na budúcu sezónu. Sám som zvedavý.
Looking good so far. @Gabler and @Wires_Guy_wires already pointed out the best production value tips for now.
We can tell you are not comfortable in front of the camera yet. That will come in time, don't worry about it. You can work on it by rehearsing some before filming, or at least writing some notes that you can look over off camera.

Great work! Keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback Shady, I had notes hidden behind the tree on the table actually😉 . I need to work on the issue of not looking at the camera for sure.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it. You seem a bit more comfortable and prepared this time.
I can see the several different takes you spliced together at the end, but you actually did a fairly good job of that.

And I love the t-shirts! I hope it's a running gag that keeps going.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I like it. You seem a bit more comfortable and prepared this time.
I can see the several different takes you spliced together at the end, but you actually did a fairly good job of that.

And I love the t-shirts! I hope it's a running gag that keeps going.
Thanks for your kind words Shady!
Kudos for liking my choice of ironic Tshirt👍

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Excellent video development. I like that you brought up the subject, with example discussion, of what the local weather has been. You mention how to help and replicate the local weather, from where the tree was originally growing, to ensure better recovery of the freshly dug material….this is a subject that is mostly skipped over in collection treatments. It’s not easy pulling together a video, you’re making it happen though….mighty fine!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Excellent video development. I like that you brought up the subject, with example discussion, of what the local weather has been. You mention how to help and replicate the local weather, from where the tree was originally growing, to ensure better recovery of the freshly dug material….this is a subject that is mostly skipped over in collection treatments. It’s not easy pulling together a video, you’re making it happen though….mighty fine!
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate that.

Are you going to be doing some videos where you're showing how you work on the trees?
I think about that. If I sort out everything technically, that actual footage will capture anything reasonable for the viewer. Honestly, I'm in unknown waters, videomaking, editing, sound, and speaking on camera, all is new for me. So, I will try to figure out what could work and what could be interesting, and how to capture it.

Just out of curiosity, what you personally would like to see and consider worth watching to learn something new?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My second video, specifically on a rose plant on flat stones. Hope there is at least a slight improvement in the production.
I love this ..You've inspired me to go around nursery to look for some mini roses tomorrow.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I love this ..You've inspired me to go around nursery to look for some mini roses tomorrow.
I am happy you find it useful. Just in case you don't mind leaving this same comment under the original YouTube video (or any comment in general) would be worth its weight in gold. It would help google algorithms determine if the content is not worthless and could recommend it to more potential viewers. 👍🙏

I have deciduous trees, mainly Japanese Maples.
I think I have an idea for a future episode dedicated to Acer Palmatum. Hope you will like it. 👍Thanks for the inspiration.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My sentiments exactly!

Top Bottom