Maple Identification Help please...

I have seen some large silver maples but nothing like what you are describing. They were the home builders tree of choice in my area during the late 50s through 1960s because they were cheap, transplanted at near 100% success rate and grew exceptionally fast. The leaves are stunning and fall color is a clear yellow that comes and goes almost as quickly as ginkgo. After a few years they started raising and cracking driveways, sidewalks and in many cases they cracked foundations and ruined water pipes. Then the fun began when they started falling apart with wind and with snow load. They are exceptionally brittle and the destruction they caused was widespread and serious. Several lawsuits ensued. They went from being one of the most widely plant trees to becoming a tree that can hardly be found at any nursery today. They really have not been used as a landscape tree in most areas in decades and have become known as a trash tree. Many urban municipalities have banned them.
As a wild tree (and as another life form) I hold nothing against silver maples, but as a landscape tree they are one of the poorest of all choices.
I'll see if I can get some pics some day when I see one.

Silver maple or the red x silver maple hybrid . Definitely not amur

Back
Top Bottom