Mame contest entry's

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_3675.JPG Ok this is the first contest I have ever entered.
Hopefully I can do it justice.
These are entries 1 and 2 found at HD yesterday.
They may be a bit of a challenge for me.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Entry #1

Cissus tuberosa cutting that I took this spring which is just starting to show some growth. It is a tuberous plant in the grape family. I have never tried to bonsai this and have only been cultivating the mother plant for a pretty short time. The other end of this broken off vine had formed roots in my greenhouse so I potted it up in long fiber sphagnum moss. It has developed a really drastic taper for the stem in the little pot. The other side is already bizarre but may be more challenging to fit into a mame pot if the cutting is buried deep which I think it is. Which side will I pick? Not sure yet but this is the material I will be using. This may be something a bit different, I've never seen anyone attempt bonsai with this so it could die.

27x2bg9.jpg

2rfwz7p.jpg
3095xjs.jpg

Last edited:

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Entry #2 Hydnophytum Formicarum

Ant Plant, a Rubiaceae that forms a mutualism with ants from its native area.

The stems on these are long lived and woody,they are slow growing and can be pruned to get more branching. I didn't choose this to get something predictable or cookie cutter. let's see how this can approach a mame, I may have to buy another one just for this contest. It is already looking really cool for how small it is and already has formed a small domatia with two entrances at the caudex

2mgqc6g.jpg

69kxv6.jpg

2qd7ar4.jpg

For my third entry I may do something a bit more traditional or maybe not.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm still learning the basics of bonsai. I had never intended to enter this, or any, contest for quite a long time. However, I've read through this thread a few times now, and it's been nothing but encouraging. It looks like this should be a positive experience for everyone and a great opportunity for me to learn. So I'm giving it a shot.

My first (and probably only) entry is a Willow Leaf Fig. It's been sitting on my kitchen window sill for the past year or so. It was an impulse buy at a local nursery and I never did anything with it. It's actually been relatively healthy sitting in the window and has never looked unhappy. We're having some work done on our house and we replaced the kitchen windows. After putting in new energy-efficient windows the plant has sulked. I always wondered why people had such trouble keeping figs happy in the house and it dawned on me. Our terrible windows from 1950 were letting in the full spectrum of sunlight and it benefitted the plants. Now I finally had a reason to want to put the plant outside. Even though I say the plant was healthy, it hasn't grown much since I've owned it. I'm really hoping moving it outside will stimulate it. Here's the before shot:

salicaria_before.jpg

I pulled it out of the pot and was completely surprised to find a large tuberous root. I had assumed this was just a small cutting.

salicaria_unpotted.jpg

I found what hopefully will be the new radial plane out of which all new roots will grow. I cut it with a nice sharp knife and dusted with powdered rooting hormone (this was probably completely unnecessary). I hedged my bet by leaving roots further up the trunk as well. I'm hoping being outside will encourage the tree to grow enough that the trunk swells and creates a believable taper. We will see.

salicaria_tuber_cut.jpg

Since I've never kept the plant outside and I just cut off most of the roots, I wanted to plant it a bit deeper in the soil. I found a tall-ish but small pot and buried it in pretty deep. I also didn't wire it in, so I'm hoping the soil keeps it secure in the pot.

salicaria_repotted.jpg

Please feel free to give feedback. My plan is to let the branches extend and thicken. If inner leaves start getting shaded out, I will partially defoliate the branches and just keep the inner leaves and the extreme growing tips. That's a problem I hope to have in the next few months. Any advice on when I should start fertilizing?

Thanks,
Scott

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are my three entries.

#1. American hornbeam, this was actually one of the first trees I collected. The original tree was about 3" in diameter. Everything but some of the suckers at the base died back. I've kept potting it down into smaller pots over the last few years. I think it could be interesting but it's going to be a tight fit in a 4.5" pot. I think I can get it to fit.

tmp_13066-IMG_20170617_114011897-1591899878.jpg

#2. Pitch pine, this is one of the seedlings I started in 2014. The lower trunk is about 1/2" across and I think it will bulk up a bit more this year. The plan is to reduce it back to the buds in the lower inch or so of trunk. It will be changing to get the low growth strong enough to support the tree. I'm also not sure the needles will ever be small enough to be convincing.

tmp_13066-IMG_20170617_114236431445642994.jpg

#3. Mugo pine "mops", I picked this one up from a local nursery. It is probably my safest bet since it is basically mame size already. The hard part will be getting it to thrive in such a small pot.

tmp_13066-IMG_20170708_1621417441738176592.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've decided to make this crape myrtle into a mame. This pic is from earlier this spring. That's about an 11" pot.

IMGP0137_zpsbzctazc3.jpg

Right before the contest started I chopped it and put it into a 6" pot.

IMGP0245_zpskd6nf1qk.jpg

Full disclosure, I chopped this before the contest started but I'm going to reduce it further and fit it into a smaller pot. If it's deemed acceptable, I will treat this as my entry #2.

Mimstrel

Sapling
Reaction score
Well I have two entries for now. Still in the market for a likely option for a third. I figure I'll definitely kill at least one.
Both of these are roses, the Japanese beetles have done quite the number on them. Reduced to $3 each at the home improvement store greenhouse

Entry 1:
IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

Entry 2:
IMG_1460.JPG
This one had so much debris on it that it honestly looked like an escapee from a horror movie. I pruned it down to a few healthy branches, and those I'm going to leave until early spring.
IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1464.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 58

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am fairly new to bonsai and excited to be forced into creating a long-term plan for some bonsai, which I haven't really done before. It also gives me a reason to try a few different styles and techniques on "free" material.

Entry #1: Chinese elm broom created from fusing together three cuttings. These cuttings were taken during a thinning of the parent tree in August last year, and were repotted and tied together in mid-July (out of season, but they seem to be growing again!). Hopefully I can get enough growth this year to repot them it to a proper container in the spring and continue its development.20170710_204825.jpg

Entry #2: A crabapple which I am currently air-layering. It should be ready to remove in early September. Then I have to keep it safe during the winter with such few, fragile roots. This should make an interesting multi-trunk wild looking tree.20170810_072904_LLS.jpg

Entry #3: Another crabapple from the same tree. This one has two options for style. Either an informal broom, or a slanting/semi cascade. I will need to see what the roots look like and play around with planting angles before I decide.20170810_071950_LLS.jpg20170810_071704.jpg

I am very excited and all advice/critiques are welcome (I will post these to the idea thread to keep this one clean https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-idea.27643/ )

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My third entry is this
Ilex meserveae 'Blue Princess'

20170814_152152.jpg

The tree was given to me by @Tentakelaertje

I hope it will stay within the mame size range tough its now 16 cm from rim to top so i will need some backbudding and i hope the leave size will reduce some but well see

This tree is special to me since it was a gift and i prommised maarten to take good care of it since he will move across the globe to kiwi country !

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Underdog's entry number one:
Willow Leaf Fig (Ficus salicifolia/nerifolia)

IMG_20170817_153034855.jpg
Picked up this spring in a quart nursery can from my friends greenhouse. Nearly killed it by overwatering the heavy soil it was in. Lost every leaf. Stuffed into this shallow pot full of lava and oil dry about the time this contest was being planned. Decided if it lived that long I would enter it. This is my first string entry with the most hope.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Udog's entry number two:
Serissa Foetida (Snow Rose)
IMG_20170817_153239133_HDR.jpg
This pastey lightweight challenger was a cutting for the mother only a month ago. I can only hope it grows like the mother brought back from Miami last fall has. It will have to stay in this little pot until next summer. I have high hopes for my second entry.

Top Bottom