Mame contest entry's

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Third and final attempt.
Parthenocissus quinquefolia, known as Virginia creeper
IMG_20170817_152759732.jpg
I wanted to do a deciduous local native but, also something different. (weird)
This was plucked from my yard this summer after being repeatedly mowed over all year. Figured with that much will to live it deserved a chance on the third string. I hope to be able to build some interesting ramification with a naked judging date in our winter months. We'll see. Good luck to all and have fun with this.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay, I'll play in hopes that this will encourage me to keep working this plant. This is a small-leaf selection of Trident maple from Warren Hill. This plant was air-layered in 2015. First picture shows the plant just separated from the mother. It was a nicely shaped twin trunk, with a bulging pot and roots coming out of the top and bottom of the pot.
20150826_173044.jpg

Over the first winter, the second trunk died. Turns out, instead of the pot being full of roots, it was 90% filled with callus tissue. I removed as much of the callus as I could, being careful not to injure the few good roots I had. I planted it in a plastic sieve in a open mix soil, but it limped along that first year.

At repotting time this spring, I was surprised to see good root growth. I was a little less judicious in removing further callus material and sections of die-back. The plant has grown pretty healthily this year, and I think it is time to start working it. Below are pictures from today.
20170819_111705.jpg
20170819_111746.jpg
20170819_111722.jpg

A good bit of the trunk is buried, but the base is about 3 inches wide. This spring I plan to pot it higher up in a deeper, narrower pot to expose the base and to get the roots to grow downward.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Totaly forgot to make this post:

Entry thread for the mame contest is now closed.

Thnx for joining i am looking forward to see all those great progressions !

For mame talk or contest questions we use this topic:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-idea.27643/page-27

Top Bottom