Mail call! Yet another epic tree from Mr. Don Blackmond:)

Sacramento elevation 30', Albuquerque elevation 5,312'.
I wasn't aware Albuquerque was that high!

So, do Ponderosas grow around there?

I wasn't aware Albuquerque was that high!

So, do Ponderosas grow around there?
Not in town but in the mountains where there is more rain. The jemez mountains are FULL! I can drive to the sandia mountain crest in about 30 minutes and be at zone 2. The crest can regularly get down in the negative 40s in winter with highs in only the single digits.
We have an extremely diverse state.

Aaron

So this morning I decided to correct this soil as best I could without actually disturbing the tree because I know it's not the season for re-potting/root work, plus, this tree has already had two other insults this year from recently being trimmed back and de-candled. Problem was a crusty top layer of organic stuff that was slowing down water absorption so I removed the top 1/2-3/4" of top soil as recommended by Adair and I put a fresh layer of Bonsai Jack in it's place. Now the water shoots straight through! Plus, kinda looks like snow in this pot:)

Funny story to go along with yesterday's festivities: So I bought my house 5 months ago and I've met all of my neighbors except for the Japanese couple that lives next to me. They are very reclusive and I've only even seen them 5 times in the 5 months that I've been there. I know the man likes to go out and do yard work at like 2am because I've heard him back there messing around with his Pines and Junipers, which he has some nice ones (not bonsai but full size in his yard). Anyways, I saw him out there yesterday while Aaron and I were out back messing with the big pine and I initiated a conversation with him. I complimented his yard and realized quickly that he didn't speak any English and spoke only Japanese. I go back into my yard and grab my nice Juniper and take it over to the wall, get his attention and showed him the Bonsai. He signals me to go a little closer, smiles, takes the tree in his hands and says, "Nice, Thank You" and then proceeds to walk away with my nice Juniper lol. I quickly raised my voice and say NO NO NO NO NO, and use hand signals to tell him that I only wanted to show it to him. Crazy little guy thought I was giving him my show quality Juniper! I'm a nice neighbor but not that damn nice! Almost turned into a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu VS Kung Fu video on YouTube.

Last edited:
Funny story to go along with yesterday's festivities: So I bought my house 5 months ago and I've met all of my neighbors except for the Japanese couple that lives next to me. They are very reclusive and I've only even seen them 5 times in the 5 months that I've been there. I know the man likes to go out and do yard work at like 2am because I've heard him back there messing around with his Pines and Junipers, which he has some nice ones (not bonsai but full size in his yard). Anyways, I saw him out there yesterday while Aaron and I were out back messing with the big pine and I initiated a conversation with him. I complimented his yard and realized quickly that he didn't speak any English and spoke only Japanese. I go back into my yard and grab my nice Juniper and take it over to the wall, get his attention and showed him the Bonsai. He signals me to go a little closer, smiles, takes the tree in his hands and says, "Nice, Thank You" and then proceeds to walk away with my nice Juniper lol. I quickly raised my voice and say NO NO NO NO NO, and use hand signals to tell him that I only wanted to show it to him. Crazy little guy thought I was giving him my show quality Juniper! I'm a nice neighbor but not that damn nice! Almost turned into a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu VS Kung Fu video on YouTube.
Wow! You should Give him the tree. He will probably give you something more valuable, like a REAL Samari or a Jade Monkey ;)

Back
Top Bottom