USDA Zone
There we go Whfarro!

More piccy less talky!

Thanks! That ROR is nice!

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The ROR maple came from David Easterbrook and now owned by Peter Sobel. Peter joked that he mainly bought it because of the killer Chinese pot the tree came with.

The tree itself is nice but needs lots more time to mature.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The ROR maple came from David Easterbrook and now owned by Peter Sobel. Peter joked that he mainly bought it because of the killer Chinese pot the tree came with.

The tree itself is nice but needs lots more time to mature.

That pot is nice. Pictures do not do it justice.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter's comments about 'broccoli' are simply about the density of foliage. He prefers more open foliage pads; simple as that.

If you listen to his critiques of the Artisans Cup trees, he makes it very clear and compares the foliage density on most of them to broccoli.. lol. No doubt he does the same with Kokufu trees and the like. It's simply his personal artistic preference and opinion. We're all entitled to our own I hope.. ;) lol

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Walter's comments about 'broccoli' are simply about the density of foliage. He prefers more open foliage pads; simple as that.

If you listen to his critiques of the Artisans Cup trees, he makes it very clear and compares the foliage density on most of them to broccoli.. lol. No doubt he does the same with Kokufu trees and the like. It's simply his personal artistic preference and opinion. We're all entitled to our own I hope.. ;) lol
Perhaps Walter is like President H.W.Bush (41) and he just doesn't like broccoli and throws up on the Japanese.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Yes, when Walter was discussing my tree with me he pointed to Amy Blanton's tree and said that was more in style now.

Her tree is a Rocky, I believe. Mine is Kishu Shimpaku. The foliage of a Rocky is naturally more open and coarse than Kishu. Kishu has slimmer stems and "leaves". So, it will always appear to be denser than a Rocky.

But, the two should not be compared against each other in that way. A Kishu will always have denser foliage pads than a Rocky.

The way they should be judged against each other is: "Is this particular Rocky a better example of a Rocky Mountain Juniper, or is this Kishu a better example of a Kishu Juniper?" Not "do these foliage pads look like broccoli?"

I'm sure everyone will say that that's not what Walter's saying... But it kinda is. The really small leaved junipers, Shipaku, Kishu, Itoigawa, are all Japanese. They naturally lend themselves toward making tight, dense foliage pads. The American junipers the California, Sierra, Western, Rocky Mountain, Utah, are all coarser, looser, more open.

It would be wrong to style a Kishu to look like a California, or a Rocky. At least, that's my opinion.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those that may be interested here are professional photos taken of the entire MABS exhibit.

https://www.facebook.com/midatlanti...1205914007967/867811846680706/?type=3&theater

Wow! I'm not closing that page! That's a keeper!

You guys are killing it out there!

Dope ass larchi!

Your maple looks great on that stand with the black photo!

Many thanks brother!

That's what I been waiting for!

Waaaaayyy more impressive than I imagined!

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! I'm not closing that page! That's a keeper!

You guys are killing it out there!

Dope ass larchi!

Your maple looks great on that stand with the black photo!

Many thanks brother!

That's what I been waiting for!

Waaaaayyy more impressive than I imagined!

Sorce

Thanks sorce! As I mentioned earlier, the show was a mix bag in terms of quality. But I think that is to be expected at a regional level. Some stand outs were Kirby's juniper and John Romano's shohin display.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps Walter is like President H.W.Bush (41) and he just doesn't like broccoli and throws up on the Japanese.

Bush!...Broccoli!...sorry I have to do it. Fast forward to about the 4:30 mark if you don't want to see the whole thing.

Top Bottom