Literati Tosho

Lewiscarnes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Tosho is awesome. Does anybody in the US grow Tosho junipers? I have looked and can't find any small Tosho junipers for sale.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Tosho is awesome. Does anybody in the US grow Tosho junipers? I have looked and can't find any small Tosho junipers for sale.
I might know a guy with a few cuttings, I'll ask him and if he does I'll message you.

Aaron

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They are pretty hard to find. I just started about 8 cuttings last year. Check back with me in about 20 years :)

If you are looking for nursery trees, you might check for "shore juniper" Juniperus rigida conferta, which is VERY closely related and shares most/all characteristics. Don't ask me to explain the difference between a Juniperus rigida and a Juniperus rigida conferta :)

Last edited:

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
What would the right tree look like?
Good question! We'll know when we find it! The trunk has to feel like a Tosho trunk, as they grow a bit different in nature than Shinpaku.

One with silvery bark would be a plus. My guess would be a powerful tapered tree with subtle movement, but I'll see what my teacher has in mind...

My sempai Bobby loves Tosho, so I think he'll probably start grafting first. I'm excited to see what he comes up with!

Nice styling, Brian. Good start to this tree!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something about that branch looking like a continuation of a loop is distracting to me.

I'd like to see that branch moved away from the front of the trunk too.

It feels disconnected somehow.

aviary-image-1477707623820.jpeg

Wait wait....

Less foliage.aviary-image-1477708048886.jpeg

?

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Something about that branch looking like a continuation of a loop is distracting to me.
I'd like to see that branch moved away from the front of the trunk too.
It feels disconnected somehow.
Wait wait....
Less foliage.View attachment 121481
Sorce
Yes, the virt is closer to the final plan, but I'm reducing it slowly. Eventually, it will be a few full, razor-thin pads.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful Brian! For some reason I want to tip it ever so slightly to the right....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good question! We'll know when we find it! The trunk has to feel like a Tosho trunk, as they grow a bit different in nature than Shinpaku.

One with silvery bark would be a plus. My guess would be a powerful tapered tree with subtle movement, but I'll see what my teacher has in mind...

My sempai Bobby loves Tosho, so I think he'll probably start grafting first. I'm excited to see what he comes up with!

Nice styling, Brian. Good start to this tree!
Typically, Tosho has a burl deadwood section. Or, most of the pictures I've seen have them.

Top Bottom