Lichen on juniper?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was just checking on my overwintering plants and saw this on one of my junipers. I think if I saw this on a normal plant I wouldn't think twice, but it seems to have come on fairly quickly and since I put it under the tarp under a table which in turn is under my porch, and on a bonsai I at least want to ensure I know what it is and if there's any reason for concern.

What do you think? Is this worrying, or just some nice lichen?

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

It would be too much for me. I try to keep lichen off especially when I want the tree to backbud I think it is important to keep the bark clean.

I'm jealous of the air quality you have there! Lychen need quality air to thrive!
But as awesome as it looks, I agree with leatherback that this much lychen will probably inhibit backbudding and might cause weird roots to form since the bark can stay damp for quite a while longer if it's covered in lychen.

I was just checking on my overwintering plants and saw this on one of my junipers. I think if I saw this on a normal plant I wouldn't think twice, but it seems to have come on fairly quickly and since I put it under the tarp under a table which in turn is under my porch, and on a bonsai I at least want to ensure I know what it is and if there's any reason for concern.

What do you think? Is this worrying, or just some nice lichen?

View attachment 345544

View attachment 345545
Can we see a photo of the whole tree?

I'm jealous of the air quality you have there! Lychen need quality air to thrive!
But as awesome as it looks, I agree with leatherback that this much lychen will probably inhibit backbudding and might cause weird roots to form since the bark can stay damp for quite a while longer if it's covered in lychen.
Lichen is so thin that I seriously doubt that it would hold moisture more than a few minutes more than plain bark.

Can we see a photo of the whole tree?

Here's one from before I put it in its winter hangout. I'm looking at this now and think I see the lichen in this photograph as well, I don't know how I missed it. Needs work but wanted to leave it alone for the winter as some of my ideas are more dramatic than others and I wanted to marinate on it a bit.

Sounds like there isn't an immediate health concern at least.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 7.12.54 PM.png

Lichen is so thin that I seriously doubt that it would hold moisture more than a few minutes more than plain bark.
It actually does, as does moss. raining out here now and after dark
I've moved my worst offender into Winter storage, but this is what
the type of lichen I get looks like.
1608597906632.png
It acts like a second skin and traps moisture if left to skin over like this.
I usually use tweezers and pull off what I can which often removes some bark as well
so best to remove pronto.
EDIT: I don't know if the airborne particles that "dust off" are a breathing hazard or not?
Some of it is brittle and becomes airborne, some like peeling skin off a grape.

Hmmmm... The kind of lichen I see is more like the thickness of paint, if that. I sand it to dust and sprinkle it on my wet bark to get it started on my trees and love the colors varying from yellow thru green to light blue. It only gets heavier on really thick bark in these here parts.

Do you mean you do not get them?
Barely. Lots of farms in the area, a big highway, under the blanket of fumes from German industry.
Algae grow nicely. Four to six species of lichen survive here, but it takes 20 years to form a decent patch.

The kind of lichen I see is more like the thickness of paint, if that.
I had to spray my full sized plum-tree in the garden a few years ago with tree-cleaner as all the buds were getting covered and the tree was declining in health. It gets a whole lot thicker than a thin pain layer, in areas with good air, lot of humidity. Here, we even get inch thick coats of moss in rough-barked trees like oak and linden.

So I'm starting to think I should probably spray it with a 50/50 water/vinegar mix? That sound right? If excessive lichen can hurt the tree while its overwintering I'd do it now, otherwise I'd probably wait til spring for when I inspect it more closely and prune it

Jealous, lichen only grows on my larch for some reason. It’s probably better to remove it but I wouldn’t, looks too cool.

Shoot for more sun exposure and site where the air isn't stagnate.

Rub areas affected with your fingers, that should be enough to shake it free.

Sounds good!

In terms of sunlight, no, it's not really getting sunlight right now.

Shoot for more sun exposure and site where the air isn't stagnate.

Rub areas affected with your fingers, that should be enough to shake it free.
If only it were that easy :D
1608672475177.png
I attended to as much as I could late Summer early Fall this year but lost some good bark here and there.

Attachments

• DSC_3357.JPG
    DSC_3357.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 5
ah yeah, mine's not like that! that's gnarly. Too bad it'll hurt the tree, I like seeing it on trees out in the woods.

ah yeah, mine's not like that! that's gnarly. Too bad it'll hurt the tree, I like seeing it on trees out in the woods.
IDK if this has compounded the issue of this being my tree with the worst needle cast or not.
I lost a JBP to needle cast a couple years ago, but it had no lichen. I am treating all my pines though for needle
cast whether I see it affecting the tree or not.

So I'm starting to think I should probably spray it with a 50/50 water/vinegar mix? That sound right? If excessive lichen can hurt the tree while its overwintering I'd do it now, otherwise I'd probably wait til spring for when I inspect it more closely and prune it
Vinegar is herbicide.

Back
Top Bottom